"tanks" -- HOW I GOT INTO MOTORHOMING--PART 3.

A series of interesting articles about the wonderful life and times of Keith Russell.... in his own distinct terms!!!
.... Onya Keith !!!! ....
Keith Morris

"tanks" -- HOW I GOT INTO MOTORHOMING--PART 3.

Post by Keith Morris »

Continued from Part 2-- (time for another cuppa before you read on).

I arrived at the caravan park and was immediately recognised by the staff as being "One of Them" by my Black Beret and the 1sr Armoured Regiment Badge. Caravan sires were reserved down-the-back for the Tankies and I was directed to a site and parked the van in the middle of the mob. It was easy to recognise "The Mob" because most of "The Mob" had a National Flag hoisted on their caravans ot towing vehicles. The blokes were all gathered around the eskies and in active voice either telling lies ot tales of great deeds undertaken over the years. The Ladies or Partners were also gathered and in deep conversation over what they had done during the ' shop and see' trips into Fremantle; the usual chit-chat that the ladies engage in when they form a group.

Well, the pub crawls and gatherings at selected hotels to meet up with others of like ilk was a daily activity. Registration, Meet and Greet, father and drink, all of ehr Reunion activity was a build-up to the Dawn Service and the Parade at the Memorial on the hill. Those who attend a Dawn Service will know that words cannot describe the emotion and feelings of the gathered company, so I won't expand on that -- just leave it to your own emotive to convey the comaraderie that was felt amongst those in the formed company. Suffice to say that it was a very moving service, and the mood was continued at the various hotels after the formality of the activity was relaxed.

OVER THE TOP -- DAY 1

Day One, according to the Movement Order, was to be Fremantle to Geraldton, with an overnight stop of two days to view the tourist attractions in that area.

we departed the caravan park in an orderly fashion; Troop level of four or five caravans in a group, and heading North we negotiated peak hour traffic with questionable map reading. [NOTE: pre GPS days] After loosing some of the "Troop" we found that all roads lead to Rome == so to speak -- and we managed to re-group along the freeway.

This was an experience for some 'Crew Commanders' and 'Signals Operators' who had no previous experience of moving to the side emergency lane from the Right Hand Lane of a busy three lane freeway. Not to be discouraged ----Just put on the Left Blinker and move the caravan across three lanes of traffic-- the other traffic will give-way, after all we were flying the National Flaf and after all; the drivers have had years of experience driving Tanks.
We managed to get off the freeway and onto the Great Northern Hiway --Now we were in with the 'big stuff' -- semi trailers, road trains with three trailers lumbering along behind Whites, Diamond T's, Kenwoods, Macks, you name it and we encountered it. We even saw other caravans being towed along --just bloody tourists heading North -- no National Flag -- Must be Grey Nomads on holidays.

Well, after thirteen days we had reached the turn-off to Cevanties and the faboulous Pinnacles. We held an "O Group" on the side of the Hiway; the blokes on the Left and the Ladies on the Right side of the road under the only available tree that offered shade. The Convoy Commander decided that we had to make better time to regain our scheduled movements. We should have been at Geraldton twelve days ago to meet up with other 'Troops' -- BUT -- the Ladies wanted to see the Pinnacles. Why come all this way and notsee the sights [? ] was the reasoning. I could only agree and put forward that as I lived in the West and had seen all of this before; perhaps I will continue on to Broome and act as the Advanced Party. I could report back to the Group by UHF CB Radio with listening watch at 0700 hrs and 1900 hrs each day, and report on ideal overnight parking sites to save on caravan park fees, and where discount fuel was available.

The 'Troop' took off to Cevanties, the Advanced Party [me] took off to Broome which was another 2,000 km North. I arrived in Broome three days later and established myself at the Broome Caravan Park. I issued a Warning Order to the proprietor that the "Black Hats" were coming and reservedsites were made available. This was the start of the tourist period and site accommodation was at peak demand = no advanced booking-- no vacancy !. This rule applies to all of the caravan parks who usually require a 12 month advanced booking to obtain a site. I overcame this problem with the National Flag and the Black Beret - these were Veterans and there were lots more following. Have some compassion for these "Old Farts" and reserve a section of the caravan park for them. The problem was that they were still arriving in Broome three months later .!.

Several of the other Troops who were booked into another caravan park indicated that they wanted to go fishing. I managed to organise a charter boat at a good discount [through my Grandson who knew the owner] to take us out to sea to one of his secret reefs, where we caught a swag of reef fish.

After the fishing charter and other sight seeing trips around Broome, I got to thinking--- We have to get to Darwin yet, and then, when ever we get to Cairns, this mob are going to disperse because they all live over that side of the Island. This leaves me towing the "box-on-wheels" behind the Jaguar -- no cruise control --to negotiate Cairns- Townsville- Brisbane- Sydney-Melbourne- Adelaide etcall on my own and only three CD's to listen to 'till I get back to Wyalkatchem.

I had an Executive Meeting with myself and decided to settle in Broome. I have had enough of this caravan life for now. I purchased a 2,000 sq m property with a cottage and a large garage/shed in Blue Haze which is just past the new Roebuck Housing Estate and only 2 km from Chinatown. Severasl of the mob parked-up on the place and at one stage I had ten caravans and Motorhomes parked in various wings --we had the West Wing, the North Wing etc and all under established mango trees for shade --ideal place -- why continue on to Cairns.

My three night stop-over in Broome turned out to be a four year residence. I experienced a bit of Vascular Degeneration and was being med-evac up and down to Perth to Sir Charles Gardner Hospital on a regular basis to the Vascular Surgeon. This involved a 4 day to 14 day absence from Broome and my two dogs [Saracen & Russell] were fretting while I was away in Perth, so I sold the property and re-located to a house I own in Wyalkatchem, where I would only be a few hours travel to the Vascular Department at Perth.

The move down to Perth/Wyalkatchem forms another chapter, which I will cover later if there is any interest shown by the Forum Members. It is a bit of a departure from things "Motorhome-ing", but it isd an experience I can share with you.

That's the story of my Reunion with the "Black Hats" in Fremantle and how I became involved with Motorhoming and the Grey Nomad way of life.
If anyone is interested I will make further postings about my relocation from Broome to Wyalkatchem in the Jaguar and the Caravan with my two dogs Saracen (42 kg Wolf Hound) and Russell (9 kg JackRussell cross). Its now time for the A.F.L. on Channel 7 and a nice Single Malt Scotch ---I've had enough cuppa's for today.
GOOD NIGHT DOT, and other Forum Members.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Dot

Re: "tanks" -- HOW I GOT INTO MOTORHOMING--PART 3.

Post by Dot »

Well worth that Malt Keith, keep those stories coming, at your old farts pace if you like :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

i am enjoying reading your adventures Tanks, quite a life. I for 1 vote for more.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
dapope

Post by dapope »

Yes please, I really enjoyed the read Tanks,
One of my ex neighbours in NZ was in tanks in Italy (I think) in WW2
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

Great stories Tank's keep them coming.

Dirk
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I am enjoying your tale and am looking forward to the next episode. I too spent some time in armour (1980 - 83, 2 CAV). I spent the rest of my 28 years of service in Engr's as a fire fighter / emergency responder.

Glenn
Glenn & Louise
2011 Jayco Conquest 24-1 + Terios
We are based in Toowoomba

Trip Blog - http://travelpod.com/members/glennlouisefitz
norman
Location: Home Base...Paeroa.NZ OZ Base. Where ever we happen to be.......

Post by norman »

What say we make a special thread for Keith(tanks) to expound a lot more of his sheenagins. Sounds like you had a interesting few years Keith.Hows that Iveco going :?: Thats another story you can tell us about. with pics of course seeing as you mastered the computer..... 8-) 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
If at first you dont succeed, Skydiving is not for you.
Ros20549

Post by Ros20549 »

Please keep the stories coming..

Cheers Ros.
Most people spend their healthy years trying to be wealthy, only to spend their wealthy years trying to be healthy....
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

Glenn wrote:I am enjoying your tale and am looking forward to the next episode. I too spent some time in armour (1980 - 83, 2 CAV). I spent the rest of my 28 years of service in Engr's as a fire fighter / emergency responder.

Glenn

"tanks" here - Glen,
I was in the Regiment 1957 era and then 2/14 Queensland Mounted Infantry, so I had 'exposure' to both Tanks and Cavalry. My Troop Leader in The Regiment was Lt. John Keldie- later Lt.General "Blue" Keldie. who was the first C.O. of 2 Cavalry Regiment. Both 2 Cav and !st Armoured are now located in Darwin, N.T. and I would like to visit them on one of my trips.
1/4679 Morris. K.E.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

norman wrote:What say we make a special thread for Keith(tanks) to expound a lot more of his sheenagins. Sounds like you had a interesting few years Keith.Hows that Iveco going :?: Thats another story you can tell us about. with pics of course seeing as you mastered the computer..... 8-) 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol:

Norman -- UPDATE
If this internet thing gets over to N.Z where you are now --- The conversion on the IVECO is at a halt for the moment while I am about to get on the road to the Nor West for the Winter. I'm still looking for a SINGLE Front passenger seat. I have removed the TWIN passenger seat, but Russell does not like sitting on milk crates to look out of the window, When I want him to get into the IVECO he refuses and then goes and sits at the door of the Mercedes, and then just looks at me as if to say "lets go in this one"
Keith.