"tanks" -- HOW I GOT INTO MOTORHOMING--PART 4

A series of interesting articles about the wonderful life and times of Keith Russell.... in his own distinct terms!!!
.... Onya Keith !!!! ....
Keith Morris

"tanks" -- HOW I GOT INTO MOTORHOMING--PART 4

Post by Keith Morris »

CONTINUED:--

Hello friends and other interested people,

I thought that you would like to know the situation with my relocation from Broome in the Kimberley area of the far North of the State, to Wyalkatchem in the Central Wheatbelt of W.A.

Jeff and Pam (my foster son and his partner) flew to Broome to assist with the big move. Pam had to return to her employment in Perth so she only had a long weekend to relax in Broome. I was to be med-exac to attend the Vascular Surgery Department of Sir Charles Gardner Hospital and Pam and myself flew on the same flight leaving Jeff to pack the sea container with my personal effects, furniture, motor scooters and so much junk that I have been collecting over the past 30 years -- all items which I could do without in my life, and of little contribution to my well being, but too good to discard; e.g. pairs of 'flairs' worn only 3 times since purchased in 1956 when they were the latest fashion for exuberant youth of that era.

I flew back to Broome after consultation with the Surgeon to find that Jeff and Jim (Jeff's Broome mate) had the container packing almost completed, with only a few items left to be packed and sent on the State Ship to Fremantle -- a voyage of 10 to 12 days. Transport of the sea container to the Broome Wharf was arranged and we saw the container on the way leaving Jeff and myself to travel to Perth by road.

Jeff was to ride my Harley Davidson [FLHTC Full Dresser) and I elected to drive the Jaguar towing my caravan, which was also loaded with creature comforts and memorabilia of my 4 year stay in Broome. The dogs, Saracen and Russell also travelled in the Jaguar with me. (Saracen was an Irish Wolfhound weighing 42 kg at age 2 years, and Russell is a Jack Russell cross weighing in at 8 kg). Jeff had serviced the Harley, new tyres were put on the caravan, the Jag tyres were checked by the garage, new batteries were fitted to both vehicles, the phone and electricity were disconnected and all was ready for our departure and the 2,500 km trip to Perth. Alas, Jeff only got as far as the corner of tthe street when the Harley had the first problem -- the charging system shat itself and would not charge the battery, not would it fire up the motor, so Jeff pushed the machine back to the property and we evaluated the situation. Thanks to Jeff's knowledge of Harley Davidsons, the problem was identified and the necessary perts ordered from Perth. The phone and electricity were re-connected to provide for our extended involuntary and enforced stay while repairs were carried out on the Harley.

Some 3 days later; The parts arrived by express air bag and the task of pulling the Harley to pieces and replacing the unserviceable Stator and other bits was undertaken by Jeff with what limited tools were available to use as most of the spanners etc had already been packed in the sea container and sent to the wharf. Jim came good and found some of his own tools would fit the operation. At this stage another mechanical problem was discovered and a further phone order for more parts from Perth was made. At this time it was decided to replace all of the clutch plates while the bike was undergoing the repairs. All of the air-express bags and air-freight consignments were off-loaded at the Perth Airport due to weight restrictions, which extended our departure for Perth again for almost one week. At last--- we had everything 'fixed' and were to depart for Perth early next morning. By this time I had lost time and date only to recollect that it was now September. In keeping with Brrome Time, I had only found out that it was August, and already it was finished and we were into September--- such is "time" in Broome.

We departed on the Saturday morning, Jeff on the now rebuilt Harley Davidson and myself in the Jaguar with the pets. This was the SECOND START of the trip. Jeff went ahead of the car and caravan which had a travel speed of about 85 km/hr. Both Saracen and Russell want the front passenger seat and this presented minor problems which had to be worked out for a trip of this magnitude. If Russell was in the back of the car he would sit in the footwell where I could not see him. If Saracen was put in the back he would sulk and moan at his disposition -- He is "Top Dog" and in his mind he should have the front seat, with Russell relegated to the back seat with the car fridge for company. They got everything in order after about 25 km and we settled into a slow trip without the use of the Jag Cruise Control and Auto transmission as we were now back on the "J" Box because of towing the "box on wheels".

The driving and seating was not a great problem as we soon found Jeff on the side of the road with a fuel blockage -- the fuel tank had previously been drained and cleaned during the prior service when Jeff was making the bike ready, and this would not take a lot of effort to rectify, so the dogs and myself continued along the hiway dragging the 'Box-on-Wheels with the Jag. We only got 32 km out of Broome when the top radiator hose on the Jag burst. The computer indicated that the temp and fuel consumption had increased dramatically---the normal consumption while towing the caravan had been established on the initial trip up from Perth and was 15 - 17 litres per km. This had now esculated to 34 litres per 100 km, which alerted me to the latest problem. There was not very much I could do except park on the side of the road and await Jeffs' arrival when he had cleared the fuel blockage. Saracen and Russell were put on long leads and tied to a tree a safe distance away from the hiway, while I unloaded a chair from the caravan anf made myself comfortable with a cup of tea in the shade of the tree.

Jeff arrived about 45 minutes later and as there was no mobile phone signal available he started to walk to the Roebuck Roadhouse to use the public phone and call for assistance. Jim responded to the call -- with additional spanners and other mechanical things and gave the Jag first aid enough to get it mobile and return to Broome where more permanent repairs could be made. The person who purchased the Broome property from me agreed to us re-occupying the Manilya Road residence and workshop during the repair stage, and a complete set of cooling system hoses etc were sent from Perth. [Jaguars have 13 hoses in the cooling system] The phone and electricity was again connected and we sat and waited for the parts to arrive -- you guessed it !!! all air freight was off-loaded in Perth for some reason or other and this added further delay-- but Broome is a great place and it was better than sitting onthe side of the road with Saracen and Russell continually getting their long leads entangled in the tree trunks. Neither of the dogss have ever been restrained in this fashion; having had free run of the 2,000 sq.m.property since they had lived in /manilia Road, and they wound the leads around every tree they could reach.
WHAT A TRIP --- AFTER 3 DEPARTURES WE WERE STILL IN BROOME.

TO BE CONTINUED AS PART 5 AFTER A CUPPA AND ANOTHER BISCUIT.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
dapope

Re: "tanks" -- HOW I GOT INTO MOTORHOMING--PART 4

Post by dapope »

you know how to keep us in suspenders!! :lol: :lol:
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..