"tanks" -- HOW I BECAME A GENTLEMAN OF ARMOUR-part 1

A series of interesting articles about the wonderful life and times of Keith Russell.... in his own distinct terms!!!
.... Onya Keith !!!! ....
Keith Morris

"tanks" -- HOW I BECAME A GENTLEMAN OF ARMOUR-part 1

Post by Keith Morris »

BACK TO THE BEGINNING --- THIS IS A PRECURSOR TO "HOW I BECAME A MOTORHOMER - PART 1 - 5, AS POSTED IN Drop in & Chat.
[This posting "HOW I BECAME A GENTLEMAN", covers my experiences in life from age 14 years, and is posted for general interest reading to save you having to watch the TV, or while you are parked and Free Camping without TV coverage. Sit back, get a cuppa and a biscuit and read on:-

At a tender young age I joined the Army !. This was a major event in my young life.
In those days if you were not in a private college or a school which had an Army Cadet Unit, [St. Laurences College, South Brisbane, did not have an Army Cadet Unit], you enlisted as a Regimental Cadet in the C.M.F. [Citizen Military Force].

This is how I started my Army service with the Royal Australian Artillery (R.A.A.) 11th Field Regiment RAA at Kelvin Grove Barracks, Brisbane, the day after I turned 14 years of age.
The RAA Regiment was equiped with 25 pounders and the gun drill was a challenge to a 14 year old; mixing with 18 to 30 year olds - but this also required discipline and the training was at a level to intergrate with these older blokes who already shaved, and lived in a different world than a 14 year old kid.

I learnt the necessary Gun Drill and advanced with my skills through progression to the Gun Crew duties; I became a No.3 on the Gun Crew, and then I was a Gun Sight Layer, [ Bubble- Line- Bubble and all of that]-- I never qualified as No.1 of the Gun (Gun Sgt.) but I was pretty good at the job thanks to the CMF Gunners and the B.S.M. [Battery Sgt.Major] a bloke name W.O.2 Jim Cosgrove and W.O.2. Shelberg, and a Sgt. Vern Mullins (now Lt.Col. Retired. I mention this as a side reflection that goes with Army life, that blokes you met in service life still have an important part of your thinking back on life after 50 years.

All went well with the 11th Field Regiment as a Regimental Cadet. I reached some important milestones in my Army service while with that Regiment - I fired the first live round on the new Tin Can Bay Range, and I hit the target, which I took as an honour at that time in my young life. The Commanding Officer of the Regiment complimented me on my dedication to the Regiment at a Regimental Parade.

By now, I had turned 15 years of age, and practised shaving just like the Big Boys, I had not yet got to the stage of growing facial hair, but other things were starting to grow, if you know what I mean, and that was a complete new experience to me - the older blokes had already been through that stage of development in their life and guided me as best they were able. I was under their wing --"or kept in hand" -- so to speak, and being the youngest in the Regiment, they all looked after me to make sure that I did not come to harm.

I was living in Moorooka with my family, and I used to travel on the tram, train, bus, and the trolley-bus to Kelvin Grove to attend parade each week, except when L/Bdr Peter Davidson and his younger brother would pick me up at tram stop #42 on the Salisbury line each Thursday and take me to parade on their Harley Davidson and sidecar. Vern Mullins had a Vincent H.R.D. Black Shadow, but he would not let me on the back of it as a pillion passenger, as he thought that I was too young to be riding pillion on such a powerful machine. I think that it would spoil his chances with the 'chicks' was the main reason, and me being such a handsome young fella in uniform did not carry merit with him. [ He could have taken the risk because I would'nt know what to do anyway].

My Grand Mother, who lived in the Brisbane suburb of Hawthorne, became ill and I was required to move in with Grandma and Grandfather to assist with household duties. I decided to change Regiments and I applied for transfer to the 30th Medium Regiment RAA at Bulimba, which was close to my Grandmother's residence. The 30th Medium was armed with 5.5 inch "big things" which required a 10 ton Mack to move them. The C.O. was Lt.Colonel George Holzberger--(red hair and all) and a dashing figure in his uniform from what I recall. I had a few exercises at the old Noosa Range during my time with 30th Medium.

At that time the 2/14th Queensland Mounted Infantry Regiment, Royal Australian Armoured Corps (RAAC) were also stationed at Bulimba, and I watched the Troopers going out on exercise in the Staghounds. WOW !!!. Black Berets with Silver Hat badges, black webbing, boots and gaiters, a revolver instead of the old .303 cal S.M.L.E. rifle [ which was bigger than me] --- it follows that I applied for a Corps Transfer to the Royal Australian Armoured Corps to be one of that lot, instead of Artillery. I had to wait till I turned 17 years of age for the change of Corps to be processed, and also change from being a Regimental Cadet status, into the Citizen Military Force.

Well, the posting was approved and I was now out of Artillery and a Trooper in the Royal Australian Armoured Corps, again the youngest in the Regiment. The Commanding Officer welcomed me into the Regiment and explained that the Armoured Corps was quiet different to the Artillery units which I had previously associated with. It took a little time for me to realise that "GENTLEMEN OF ARMOUR" were a different lot than the blokes of the Artillery, but I settled in quiet well in the new surroundings, and the smell of petrol instead of Gun Oil.

As it goes in the Army, nothing goes to plan- - the 2/14th Q.M.I. was relocated to a new Drill Hall at Moorooka---just two streets away from my home and my parents residence, so goodbye Grandmother and Grandpa at Hawthorne, and back to Moorooka to live. My oldest Sister took up the duties with Grandma in Hawthorne. This was great ! no more trams, no trains, no bus, no trolley-bus to get to Parades --just walk (march) up the street and I'm there for Parade. In thse days W.O.1. Tom Hanley was the RSM, The Commanding Officer was Lt. Colonel W.Q.A. Nicol, Lt Lance Lawlor (Sir Lance) was Troop Leader, Sgt. Jack Bandera was the Orderly Roon Sgt. and I could go on and on with a lot of names that would only be of interest to those who were there in those days. Les "Rippa" Riley [hello Les -Keep the Hino Motorhome running] Remember those days pal.

The 2/14 QMI Staghound Armoured Cars were replaced with 17 pounder Anti-Tank Guns--so I was back in the Artillery so to speak. The 17 pounder was replaced with the 120 mm Battalion Anti Tank gun [B.A.T.]. We did have a Ferret Scout Car Mk 2. (which had the Turret), and I got to drive that from time to time when the Adjutant [Capt. John Moyle] collected the Unit pay from the bank. Cpl Les "Rippa" Riley also drove the Ferret when he was at 2/14 QMI and I filled in as his Crew Commander on occasions, just to give hand signals for the following traffic. Blinking turn light indicators were not legal in those days. Les and I drove the Holden Staff Car when the Commanding Officer attended Parades at Beaudesert and Boonah. We would arrive back at the Moorooka Drill Hall well after midnight after driving the C.O. home from the country parades. No overtime, no roster days off, no late start, no nuffin !!.
Keith.
TO BE CONTINUED AS PART 2 - TIME FOR ANOTHER CUPPA AND ANOTHER BISCUIT.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Dot

Re: "tanks" -- HOW I BECAME A GENTLEMAN OF ARMOUR-part 1

Post by Dot »

Hi everyone reading Tanks interesting story, would you all keep your comments and congrats until Tanks aka Keith comes to the end of this story. Please.x :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
dapope

Re: "tanks" -- HOW I BECAME A GENTLEMAN OF ARMOUR-part 1

Post by dapope »

OK :)
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..