Reflections and Past Memories

A series of interesting articles about the wonderful life and times of Keith Russell.... in his own distinct terms!!!
.... Onya Keith !!!! ....
Keith Morris

Reflections and Past Memories

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here---
I have reflected on some of my past postings and if you have nothing much else to do make a cuppa and join me --
Go to Drop in and Chat section and look up Tanks Interesting Topics for a long read with a few cups of coffee and a WEIS BAR.

"tanks" here---
I have previously posted this article on the Forum. Please excuse my wandering memory.

It is about an experience I had when I was on the road from the Gold Coast to Wyalkatchem WA, after I had purchased the Sprinter. In those days "Saracen" and "Russell" were with me. What a trip--

The late "Saracen" was an Irish Wolf Hound weighing in at 42 kg which made things a bit cramped inside the house, and he always wanted the passenger seat, which relegated "Russell" to the foot well or in the back on my single bed.
Anyway, make a cuppa or have a Weis Bar and read on.

I had just pulled into the Quarantine Inspection Station at EUCLA on the SA/WA Border and the Inspector was in the “House section” of the motorhome. He was looking through the cupboards for potatoes, onions, carrots, honey, and all things that a single bloke uses to make a stew when on-the-road, when there was this almighty BANG and the m/home moved. The Inspector sh*t, I almost had another heart attack, and the dogs got very excited for a few minutes. On closer inspection, it turns out that the rear passenger-side tyre had blown !.

Lucky that I was stationary and not doing the usual 90 kph along the hi-way. I told the Inspector that the air in the tyres was not a listed prohibited item, and that he had no right to confiscate the air out of the tyre. He was still in shock and did not appreciate my mirth.

One of then “locals” on hearing the BANG phoned the Eucla Police who attended the scene. I will say that they arrived in-force within a very short time from the Eucla Police Station. It was explained that a mob of Bikies had ridden through a short time before I arrived at the Inspection Station. The “local” thought that the Bikies were firing Shotguns at the Quaranteen Station, hence the call to the Police. The police were very understanding and helped me change the tyre. I held the wheel nuts and showed them where the spare tyre was located underneath the rear of the Mercedes while the Officer made the necessary changes to the running gear.

When we got the m/home off the jack it was noticed that there was a bulge in the side-wall of the tyre. We immediately held a Committee Meeting on the side of the road. The Police used their communications to find out that there were no tyres suitable for the Mercedes in any of the towns close-by; the only available tyres were in NORSEMAN, some 710 km's further along the hiway. It was suggested that I switch to night driving to reduce the heat and lower the tyre pressure from 65 psi to around 50 psi, drive at a restricted speed of 45-50 kph and watch out for 'Roos and road-trains. I tell you 700 kms at 45 kph takes a L-O-O-O-N-G time. The frequent stops for the dogs to find a tree allowed me look at the tyre – not that I could do anything about it, but at least I did look.

On reaching NORSEMAN I bought the ONE AND ONLY 225-70R-15C tyre available and had it fitted and balanced. This still left me without a spare tyre. I had the choice of staying-over in Norseman for 2 days till another tyre arrived from Perth; or continue on to Wyalkatchem without a spare. As Norseman to Wyalkatchem is only 575 km's I decided to have-a-go and drive home without a spare----At least, I could drive at my usual 90 kph with the new Continental tyre, instead of 45 kph [which was a pain in the but I might tell you] .

I am now at home and the dogs have found their favourite places to pee – marked their territory and barked at everything that moves, to let every other dog know that we are home.

Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
BernieQ2

Re: Reflections and Past Memories

Post by BernieQ2 »

Keep them coming Keith .
Bernie .
Just had a beer out of a Cavalry Regiment stubby holder wonder where I got that from??
DSCF2609 (Custom).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

BernieQ wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 1:57 pm Keep them coming Keith .
Bernie .
Just had a beer out of a Cavalry Regiment stubby holder wonder where I got that from??
DSCF2609 (Custom).JPG
"tanks" here BernieQ--- save me a beer and I will save you a mango & cream WEIS BAR.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Your on mate .
Bernie .
Helen Grose

Post by Helen Grose »

thank you i really enjoyed taking that trip with you i think looking back it would have been a good laugh would have loved to have seen the inspectors face Helen the boring one

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk