Told to get out of the house

Please discuss your hobbies and interests in this forum.
Ask for a sub-section if you want it!!!
Greynomad

Re: Told to get out of the house

Post by Greynomad »

My first car was a 1959 Renault Dauphine.
The oil needed topping-up more frequently than the radiator! :shock:
At 50mph (top speed was 55!) the front wheels lifted off the ground… :shock: some previous owner had tried towing the car by the (now missing) frame for the underslung spare mounted between the front wheels! Rear engine meant virtually no weight in the nose boot. :? The spare not only added ballast to the nose, but acted as an airflow splitter to stop pressure building up under the front.
It was a real sheep in wolf’s clothing. :? :lol: :lol:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Eddy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:55 am Can't remember the model, but there used to be factory produced Datsun which had all goodies under the bonnet (before the 240z came out) - a wolf in sheep's clothing
Eddy, is it the Datsun 1600 SSS Coupe, pretty rare but a little rocketing.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

There was the Datsun 2000. A little sports car.

Then the 240Z, 260Z and 280Z. The 240 was the cutest.

The amazing thing was everything was interchangable Diffs, pistons, engines, gearboxes etc. The diffs in Subarus today are from the Datsun except with CV joints.
Riverlander

Post by Riverlander »

A mate had a 1966 Nissan Skyline GT with a 2 ltr 6 cylinder 5speed. Went like a rocket. Was the first car I was in at over 100 mph. Brakes were crap and the motor was known to cause problems. Probably worth over $100,000 now if he still had it.
Cheers
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Eddy, is it the Datsun 1600 SSS Coupe, pretty rare but a little rocketing.
No wasn't that - I have been googling trying to find some info with no luck
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:52 pm There was the Datsun 2000. A little sports car.

Then the 240Z, 260Z and 280Z. The 240 was the cutest.

The amazing thing was everything was interchangable Diffs, pistons, engines, gearboxes etc. The diffs in Subarus today are from the Datsun except with CV joints.
I got to do all the servicing (and test runs) in one of these little beasts .... simply amazing and way before its time, but it certainly put the Celica's of the period on notice .... Developed a great workshop work-stream building the twin cam 2 ltr motors, complete with all the go fast gear including swapping the original side draft carbies for twin 45 DCOE Weber carbs, reground cam profiles and the high compression 2.2ltr pistons, all into the original block.
This way the engine number remained the same so no engineering certificate needed ... there was even a photo of a similar looking engine in the owners manual, it just never came to Australia, but that was above the pay grade of the local RTA pit inspectors, so they threw their hands up and passed them through.

There are few amazing sports cars from that era that pop up on that Wheeler Dealer show on channel 96 ... 9 Rush I think it's called, on fee to air TV week day afternoons.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Mate in my callow youth bought a Honda S600.
V-twin motorcycle engine with :? a minimal amount of steel frame & fibreglass panels wrapped around it.
Chain drive. Possibly four or five gears?
You had to be very good friends to get into the passenger seat, shoulder to shoulder with the driver (and he was a skinny runt — that's with an 'R'!).
And if you were over 5'9", (I was 6'1" then) you had to duck every time the car went over a bump, or risk a fractured skull on the roof framing! :shock:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Riverlander

Post by Riverlander »

A little bit of progress. May need better wheels on it.
left.jpg
Cheers John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Looking good so far. Was the gold coating to reflect the cost so far? Long week end coming up, looking forward to taking it for a drive? ;) 8-)

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

That's better than when last seen, onwards and upwards.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.