Do you have an interesting hobby?

Please discuss your hobbies and interests in this forum.
Ask for a sub-section if you want it!!!
BruceS
Site Admin

Do you have an interesting hobby?

Post by BruceS »

You never know but maybe others also have the same hobby?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

norman
Location: Home Base...Paeroa.NZ OZ Base. Where ever we happen to be.......

Re: Do you have an interesting hobby?

Post by norman »

Radio Controlled aeroplanes.... NOT DRONES...oka multirotors... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
If at first you dont succeed, Skydiving is not for you.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

My dad used to build & fly control-line model aircraft. Had a lot of fun... until one day he totally filled the fuel tank, and was spinning around so much he got dizzy & fell down. :lol:
Scratch one model plane. The propeller was dug up from 6" into the ground! :shock:
Took him 6 months to rebuild, and the result was only about 50% original parts. Total rebuild of the fuselage required, and verrry careful reassembly of the wings from salvaged parts (with some new struts & ribs).
He didn't go in for stunt flying, as the aim was to cut the trailing streamer of your opponent as close to the tail as possible. Led to many foreshortened aircraft... 8-) Too expensive constantly rebuilding/replacing tail assemblies and their controls. :)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

I did similar, started off with a Hearns Hobby solid wing and a 1.5 screwtop motor.
From there graduated up to R/C gliders, my last one had a wingspan of 8' and I watched it with a pair of army surplus binoculars.( lots of careful dismantling to fit into my Morris 1100 :geek: )
Got told once to ground it as it was flying in controlled air space, luckily I didn't get a fine , just a good talking to.

I just sold my brother's last plane < American Combat, with the O.S 3.5 Motor that still ran , although not flown for about 20 years. lol.

Nowadays I have a little Bug 2 drone that spends a lot of time being thought about :lol: , we're under a local flight pattern here so there's no local place for flying.

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
norman

Post by norman »

I fly electric , I also have a footy paddock at the back boundary and a double footy paddock a few minutes away. I only do scratch built and profiles.Although i have a super cub 1200mm wing span.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
norman

Post by norman »

Heres a piccie of one of my builds.
WP_20170512_09_40_30_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Hey! My dad built a trainer like that... just a profile with wings, all solid balsa, and hardwood engine mounts which went waaaay back glued to the fuselage. Easier to repair than fully shaped fuselage.
Had to do several rebuilds after training sessions with new kids learning. 😜
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
homeless

Post by homeless »

Been through the hobby bit.
Trains had a 16' x 14' cellar dedicated t trains. Modelled Chicago Burlington and Quincy and then followed through the history to Great Northern then stopped.
Has planes, gliders and old timers as well as some scale models. Most cherished was a 1/6th scale J3 cub and a 14' Aronca. Flew a lot for old timers as they were very popular at our field. Got to be President, then in fighting destroyed the club and I gave it away.
Have flown Helicopters since starting travelling but not lately. Had from the very small to a 6 channel but never really got to fly that one.
Had a few drones but I felt they were lacking but now have a SNAP drone tat I have finally got onto the air. Had to wait and buy one of those fruity phones to control it but is very good. Takes off and hovers at your nose till it has set itself up and then it is controlled by tilting the phone. Gimbel 4k camera that can be moved in flight to suit shots. Returns and hovers at nose to turn off with a twist. Many built in programs for special effects , just hit the option you want and then walk away etc. Returns when battery is low or you select the either, return to phone or position of launch.
Have had a few boats and have a 2mtr yacht on board that I must test one day. Got to find some water LOL.
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Likewise with the watercraft, Brian.
Dad cannibalised my model clinker-built yacht to make a powerboat to run on Lake Macquarie.
Because you can’t run them on control lines, he canted the rudder 20 degrees to port.
Ran well doing circles of about 120ft ... until a Southerly sprang up one day exactly countering the rudder offset.
Dad watched it for about 10 minutes heading straight out from the shore, and when the wind failed to drop, had to borrow a rowboat to recover it. :lol:
End of power boating. 😜
He went back to aircraft.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
homeless

Post by homeless »

Also forgot my wood working and wood turning beside many other INTERESTS.
Did have a go at paining and drawing
for a while as it was part of the trade but became work so thats where it stayed
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status