Roberts Hobbies and Interest

Please discuss your hobbies and interests in this forum.
Ask for a sub-section if you want it!!!
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Roberts Hobbies and Interest

Post by BruceS »

Does this link work?
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... SEARCH_BOX

Nope!
Scroll down to see it.
I could share it to you but I don't know your facebook name.
See if you can upload to your "photo album" ??
What format is it? AVI or MOV or ??
BruceS
Mannum, SA

homeless

Post by homeless »

Robert suggest you practice making your own points and laying tracks as it is good fun and yu get the points where you want them and the radius to fit your layout.
Just need a couple of roller gauges, I made my own and a bit of practice. Saves heaps of money. I used flexey track for much of my main tracks but built in the yards and over bridges etc.
Best to lay you track in a bed of Masonite or similar to get the height of you base board to enable better looking ballast. I sieved road dust for the right size ballast and used different soils etc for dirt LOL.
Trees I used twigs etc and then used either lichen or in some case saw dust for in the back.
I was involved with a mate and he designed the very first remote control system. 18v ac with chips in the locos so all rail was continuously powered and the locos got their commands through the track. ^ sets of locos could run at the same time with possible collisions etc, but I ran big trains and had some steep climbs that required shifter, so ran up the back push up the hill then run back again.
We ran time clocks and I designed a computer program to monitor all movements and when I went down to play i printed a daily run sheet and it designated the rolling stock to collect and where to leave them so was good fun.
Have fun as it used many hours of my time and I much money but then who cares if you are having fun.
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

At the moment not doing much as working on the van and sorting out more boxes.

Homeless you are right about the money another reason I have slowed up. Still have to sort some things out before building the shed. Cheers Robert
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Brian,
That was SERIOUS SH!T you got into!!
Ours had a master on/off switch and isolator switches so we could run two trains on separate loops simultaneously... and at the same time! ( :P )
Points to cross from one to t'other were permanently powered but isolated from the three loops.
However, we had one controller, so if we ran two trains, they ran at the same speed, but because the loops were different lengths, the one on the inner loop always did more circuits than the outer train, so they didn't run side-by-side. Looked better that way. :)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

Will correct this after test run
9C76C106-06AE-43EA-897C-EFB5B81D4836.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Hey RnB,
When you instal it, are you going to put glue on the rails so the trains don’t fall down? 😝🙄
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
homeless

Post by homeless »

It was all fun Ray.
I designed a database program for my fishing activities (It was my job for 18 years) and then I modified and had programs for my orchids and also the trains. After the fishing app the trains was the next most complex. Took a while to individually identify each loco ( about 20) and rolling stock (200+) and every holding track and industry etc on the layout 16' x 14' with 3 levels. The software logged the location of every loco and rolling stock on the layout, knew how long it could stay in the location (running Days) and then when it was tine for it to move it would be assigned to a consist.
I would select the number of cars for a consist and then the software would allocate a loco or locos for that consist. The fun was to select the rolling stock in the order to enable them to be easily detached at the different yards and distribute to the industry that it had to go to and also to pick up the rolling stock needing to be moved. This often involved several operators so you had to take into consideration someone else may need access to the same yard as you (DID I say it was FUN ??) . At the end of the night all rolling stock had to be in its right location or I would have to do a manual replace, either with the 0.5.0 shiftier (That's by hand for the non railfan who is still reading) or adjustments on the computer. Plus I had the lights around a valance and on dimmers etc so at some time in the run you worked by the yard lights and the loco lights. All the signals were automated so that as a loco (it created a small short by the motor) was detected on a track the line light ahead turned green and the one behind yellow etc. The changing of the points also controlled the lights as well.
All got cut up when the marriage broke up and went to the dump. The software was on floppys and was also thrown away.
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

https://www.trybooking.com/book/event?e ... J7sGMPb4Us

Model train expo at Greyhound Park, SA
(Greyhound Racing SA
55 Cardigan St, Angle Park , SA 5010)
BruceS
Mannum, SA

RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

Thanks Bruce had a wander around on Sunday, one very interesting display from Tasmania caught my eye. There will be one at Milang October/November no set date released at the moment. Cheers Robert