WiFi Boosters

Please add anything you've come up with to solve a problem in your outfits. eg. holder for remote!, fold up broom!, Dogbox for Hubby, etc Up to 6 images.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

WiFi Boosters

Post by T1 Terry »

Eventually took the plunge and bought one of these setups https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18378590049 ... 1395718893 and https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18390185152 ... 1588839976

Actually got to try it out, sort of, at the Nerang ferry campground. Couldn't figure out how the horizontal antenna was supposed to mount and I can't seem to get the antenna plug to stay in the WiFi modem .... probably my techno-peasant skill level when it comes to this sort of stuff, so I've asked the questions on the sellers contact link on evil bay.

I did manage to get one antenna up mounted vertical and it did get 3 to 4 bars of WiFi, but no telephone ..... but that could be the sim card as it is sold as a Data Only sim on the plan we have. I did manage to download a Kindle book via the WiFi connection on the phone, so not a total loss .... both me and the antenna :lol:

Anyone else tried on of these things? Did you have more luck than me and feel like passing on any tips?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Busman

Re: WiFi Boosters

Post by Busman »

We have had the telstra version for a few years, works well, but we did add a white pointer antenna and I think that made a huge difference. Bloody exy though. That antenna has 2 wires, I had to epoxy them in to get them to stay in.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Dot

Post by Dot »

It was the "borrowed" X postal service big fat elastic band that made it work for you Terry. :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:17 am It was the "borrowed" X postal service big fat elastic band that made it work for you Terry. :lol:
That was supposed to be something just between you and me Dottie ...... it was enough to have George turn up with something to solve the problem ...... :oops: ..... or were you talking about the fix to hold the plug into the WiFi booster? ;)
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Contacted the seller on evilbay, received the link for the antenna assembly https://docs.google.com/document/d/10ST ... N33pM/edit

Not enough bits in the kit it seems after looking at the instructions ..... after having the single antenna work so well at the Nerang Ferry camp ground, up the ladder and removed the useless NBN WiFi antenna so I could use the pole mounted on the roof capping to mount the one antenna, hoisted as high as possible to still get the clamp bolt device to stop the upper pole from turning in the roof mounted pole so I could turn it to get the best bar count on the WiFi booster .... luckily that lined up with a through bolt hole so luck was with me that I clamped the antenna in just the right position ..... bolted it up and then proceeded to spend the rest of the day making an entry point for the cable through an aluminium window frame ... naturally flyscreens off and they had to be cleaned, window out so all of them had to be cleaned .... and that triggered all the windows and flyscreens needed to be cleaned .....

Finally a reply from the evilbay seller, send all the bits back and the correct kit will be sent out .... yeah, right, still trying to figure out the best way around that, probably just easier to find more exhaust clamps to act as pole clamps and metric screws to hold the bracket to the antenna, but send back the one lead with the plug that goes into the WiFi booster and ask for the two lightening arrestors that weren't in the kit but paid for ......

Anyway, it seems to be working ok at the moment, complete with George's ex post office rubber band holding it in place 8-)

Might put the other one up on the workshop roof and either take the booster back and forward to plug in ... or buy a second unit ..... then there's trips in the Hino ......

Seems a different unit and antenna is required to boost the phone reception .... and they are mega expensive as Bill says, so that might have to wait a while ,,,,,

T1 Terry