Sikaflex...

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Chuck

Re: Sikaflex...

Post by Chuck »

Well, this was definitely not done by any professional.

Just managed to get the camera going again - amazing what recharged batteries will do these days - :roll: & here's the culprit.
Sikaflex stuff small 019.jpg
The discolouration across the top of the black strip is the grotty part of it whilst the lighter colour between it & the black strip is where I managed to cut the thicker parts off with the pocket knife.

Looking at it as I took the pic, I think I'll attack it again with the flat blade of the knife... reckon I can get a bit more off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

One of those extremely thin flexible filleting knives would be the go.
Are you sure it's not being used to plug a rust hole or cover something up?
Strange that someone left such a mess right there.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Wilbor

Post by Wilbor »

I would use Acetone. That's what boat builders use to remove it
Rob
Swagman
WILBOR-TOO
Why I Like Being On Road - Too
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Boss,

Remember the story I wrote yesterday about mods to the van & the tug - it went missing when I was logged off whilst writing it?

Here's a part of what I was saying:

The 'adhesive' shown in the pic is the result of a camera being removed from the rear where it was screwed & stuck to the top of the number plate light fitting.

Yes, there was a bloody big hole behind the plate... about the size of a ping-pong/table tennis ball... where the wire for the tail light & the camera came through.

Why the hole was so big is anybody's guess but it was not a neat job at all... jagged edges all around. The sealant on the inside of the hole was about the size of a billiard ball with the cables running through it, so naturally, it took a while to to remove as much as I could & free up the cables. Before the new camera was fitted the edges of the hole had to be snipped to remove the jagged edges - then a strip of plastic cut from some wire, split length ways, was glued in place around it.

Camera installed & wiring through the hole then the lid of an old Tupperware container cut to slightly larger than the hole with a cut-out for the cables was then stuck over the hole.

The number plate light/mounting bracket was then lightly stuck & screwed in place.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.