You have to wonder

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

You have to wonder

Post by T1 Terry »

21/04/2013 - A Perth powder coating company has been fined $85,000 over the death of a worker who was killed when a drum he was cutting with an angle grinder exploded.
Welshpool-based Diamond Powder Coaters this week pleaded guilty in Perth Magistrates Court to failing to provide a safe workplace and causing the death of the worker as a result of that failure.

The incident occurred in November 2010, when the worker used an angle grinder to cut into a metal drum that had previously contained methylated spirits.

A spark from the angle grinder ignited the residue or fumes in the drum, causing an explosion so large it blew part of the drum 20 metres over a fence into a neighbouring property, and inflicted fatal head injuries to the worker.
http://industrysearch.com.au/Powder-coa ... th/n/66874

It’s sad that someone died from not using common sense but that common sense doesn't seem to be all that common these days. You either fill the drum with water or with an inert gas so a rapid burn ( which is what an explosion really is) can't occur. It would be the same with cutting an LPG bottle to make a choofer, fill it with water before making the first cut, no room for any flammable vapours to collect awaiting a spark to ignite then.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Re: You have to wonder

Post by Greynomad »

Yes, T1,
It appears 'Common Sense' is an oxymoron these days. :(
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

That's one of the things that isn't taught by the "new breed" of parents. Come to think of it nothing much is taught to kids these days 8-) 8-)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
generdawg

Post by generdawg »

Dot wrote:... Come to think of it nothing much is taught to kids these days 8-) 8-)
I thought Centrestink was doing a fine job of helping 16 year old girls leave home, get pregnant and apply for the baby bonus. :(

dawg
Experience is a wonderful thing. It helps you recognise a mistake when repeated.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

generdawg wrote:
Dot wrote:... Come to think of it nothing much is taught to kids these days 8-) 8-)
I thought Centrestink was doing a fine job of helping 16 year old girls leave home, get pregnant and apply for the baby bonus. :(

dawg
then put them back on the dole as soon as the kid hits school age, no one tells them that part :o They either have to become baby factories and their life will be devoted to being broke and changing nappies and all the other fun bit about raising kids as a single parent or face the hash reality that they now have a kid, still need to get a job and their social life and childhood no longer exists, welcome to the real world.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Geoff Clifton

Post by Geoff Clifton »

The 'hash' reality Terry :} A bit 70's but pretty close.
Geoff.

It ain't the box, it's the people.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Geoff Clifton wrote:The 'hash' reality Terry :} A bit 70's but pretty close.
Must be showing my age :lol:
Dot

Post by Dot »

You said it :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.