Dont Lock Up Australia!!!

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
John M

Re: Dont Lock Up Australia!!!

Post by John M »

What a shame. I had similar experience finding somewhere to camp in Isa. Turns out that you can (at least the year I was there) overnight stay at the visitor information centre complete with showers which come with hot water for an extra $2 per three or four minutes. HOWEVER, a few km north out of town, on the Barkly Hwy, parking was available at the RSL for the asking. Was handy walking distance for a cheap meal too. This was just before the rodeo hit town, so it was a given they were accommodating travellers. I was outa there before the cowboy circus, so all went well there for me.
Hi Dawg
We used to be able to camp at the Rodeo grounds, but that has disappeared since the Rodeo moved indoors, the Showground has even managed to get the showies off side, they were kicked out of the showground on the sunday night immediately after the show and had a three week wait before they could get into the Alice showground, to commence the Territory circuit, most of those rigs are too big for caravan parks anyway, and so were taking up the free camps out of town. I was told there was even talk among the Showman's Guild of boycotting the whole northern Circuit, from Blackall to Darwin. Apparently the showground commitees in the Isa and Alice are not allowing even the showies to camp at the showgrounds except during the actual show when they are charged a fee of thousands to be there.
I don't know if they have moved the information centre or not but when we were there a couple of months ago I could not have parked my rig any where near it. I have heard of the RSL but forgot about it.
Unfortunately The Isa has always been the fueling point for vehicles going West, Barkly Homestead having priced themselves out of the equation, unfortunately since Coles have taken over the Shell roadhouse at Tree ways, and priced fuel there (in their usual money grubbing way) to be comparative with other service stations in the area, that is the same rate as Barkly homestead and almost 40c a litre dearer than Tennant Ck 25km sth. and the roadhouse at the Isa appears to be following the same pricing schedule, all things taken into account, the adjacent towns of Cammoweal and Cloncurry seem to be the only choices to spend your money in, though the shopping choices in Cammoweal are severely restricted both for price and product.
"Recycled Teenagers", John, Shirley and Four legged person Beau, travelling in a 7m Isuzu bus towing a trailer. Enjoying the fellowship of the road
generdawg

Post by generdawg »

John M wrote:...Coles have taken over the Shell roadhouse at Tree ways, and priced fuel there (in their usual money grubbing way) to be comparative with other service stations in the area, that is the same rate as Barkly homestead and almost 40c a litre dearer than Tennant Ck 25km sth....the shopping choices in Cammoweal are severely restricted both for price and product.
Was warned that Shell Three Ways was going to be more expensive and that many head south and fill up a Tennant Creek. I couldn't justify the extra 50km (round trip), so just bit the wallet and continued north after filling there. Found the best price for NT fuel at Katherine.
Three years ago to the month at Camooweal - not a bad price today eh?
P1040803x.jpg
Barkly Homestead, my next top up at 15 cents more per litre.
P1040838x.jpg
This is what Barkly claim is the justification for the extra cost.
P1040835x.jpg
Now a little wiser, because I carry a 20 litre backup affording me the luxury of discriminating. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Experience is a wonderful thing. It helps you recognise a mistake when repeated.
graynomad

Post by graynomad »

Barkly RH is infamous for being the about most expensive fuel in Oz, at least on a major road. Not that I've ever purchased anything there as I always organise my vehicles to have a 2000k range.

Re camping in the Isa, I've camped outside the old showgrounds many times on the large grass area between the fence and the highway, never had a problem and there's a tap you can access through a hole on the fence. I haven't been there for maybe 3-4 years now though.

Also there's a section of the old highway just past the airport, you can camp there.

EDIT: Oh, and just a few k's further north is a lovely little creek, well off the road but only suitable for small vehicles.

_____
Rob
John M

Post by John M »

I do not object to the price that Barkly Homestead charges,they are entitled to charge whatever people will pay, I just arrange it so that I don't need fuel there. I do object to Coles/westfarmers jumping on the band wagon to rip people off.
A recent trip through the Territory in May June saw the following prices for diesel per Litre
Alice springs $1.72
Tennant Ck 1.62
Three Ways 2.02 *
Katherine 1.60
Darwin 1.59
Hi way Inn (Daley Waters) 1.70
Heart break hotel 2.09
Barkly Homestead 2.10*
Mt Isa (shell roadhouse) 1.55
please note both Three Ways and Barkly homestead are observed prices only.
I carry enough fuel to travel conservatively 900km. I would love to be able to carry enough to do the extra, but alas at 20L/100k, I have to make do with 210l (150l in the tank and 60l in reserve) which theoretically will give me 1000km but I like to leave that last 20l plus in the tank, (sooner be looking at it than for it) in case of head winds etc.
Last edited by John M on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Recycled Teenagers", John, Shirley and Four legged person Beau, travelling in a 7m Isuzu bus towing a trailer. Enjoying the fellowship of the road
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

Jeez, think I might keep this fuel price thing on a strictly need to know basis. If you know who gets a gander at this our trip up through the centre might be curtailed a bit.

Dirk
Dot

Post by Dot »

I had 2 great spots all a go from the council BUT the ones in power said I was NOT to do anything myself, but I did pass on the names of people for them to contact but they did O and they lost 2 good spots :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Kelvin12 wrote:Jeez, think I might keep this fuel price thing on a strictly need to know basis. If you know who gets a gander at this our trip up through the centre might be curtailed a bit.

Dirk

Now there is a bargaining tool Hey Mary! do you want to know how much $$$ la la la la la :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

RIP Dotty. My pelt would be nailed up on the garage door drying out in the sun if she saw things like this. Bad enough she knows the bus sucks up fuel at 3 to 5 km's a litre on a good day with a tail wind.

Dirk