Avida Caravans

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
2foot6

Avida Caravans

Post by 2foot6 »

Just received an email from Avida ,they are now manufacturing caravans.Some competition to Jayco and all other manufacturers.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Avida Caravans

Post by T1 Terry »

Just what the industry needed, yet another caravan manufacturer :roll: Isn't that where the owner first started in the industry but went belly up?
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
I think his first effort was a slide-on.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Wasn't he the manufacturer of Freeway caravans? I think they also ventured into slide ons at some stage.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
dapope

Post by dapope »

I believe they did make the Freeways.
Better to do one thing well rather than two things averagely
Whats the bet Winnebago are looking to expand from the states, and avida KNOW the MH side is doomed
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

T1 Terry wrote:Wasn't he the manufacturer of Freeway caravans? I think they also ventured into slide ons at some stage.
No he was the Manufacturer of slide on campers (Freeway) and then ventured into Motorhomes. There venture into caravans is a new project
baysidetas

Post by baysidetas »

Bruce Binns was a joiner who made himself a slide on and then started to get orders from other people.

He adopted the trade name of Freeway and started to also make motorhomes on the old Holden one tonner cab chassis. Eventually also used Toyota HiAces ( a real dog of a vehicle and probably the most gutless MH I have ever driven). I believe he may also have done some holden engined Bedford CFs.

Subsequently started using the Winnebago nane.
Dot

Post by Dot »

That was an interesting post Mr Baysidetas, thank you
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
baysidetas

Post by baysidetas »

That's OK.

We used to operate a small MH hire and drive business for about 15 years under the banner Motor Holidays (Tas).

We quickly settled on Freeway bodies (4 birth) on automatic Holden 1 tonners and Franklin bodies on Bedford CF chassis with a holden motor for a larger 6 birth unit.. The Freeways were very similar to the Huntsman MH that Winnebago sometimes still build on Japanese 1 tonners.

We wound it up once Holden stopped making their 1 tonner and also stopped importing the Bedford CFs. Did not consider the Japanese vehicles at that time as suitable as they nad a narrow wheel base and high cabins which made for an uncomfortable unit to drive.

As you can probably guess we have owned quite a number of MHs and have defininte views as to what we deem to be a suitable unit.