Who says old Beddies don't handle

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Pokey

Who says old Beddies don't handle

Post by Pokey »

We were driving back to Brisbane last weekend and came across a suicide waiting to happen at this intersection in Blackwater (google maps https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-23.585 ... mp2DRA!2e0 ) We were coming up the hill heading east and a guy on his way home from work was coming up the road from the south and making a right turn onto the highway at a T junction. I saw the guy, he slowed up had a look and then decided to take the turn anyway even though I was virtually on top of him. It is 2 lanes in the east bound direction here but he was also looking to take the left turn 50 -60 metres up the road so he was merging into the left lane, but basically taking up both lanes, when he realised that he was about to become a hood ornament on my bull bar and planted it. As he was partially taking up the lane I was in (the outside one) and there was no way I was pulling across him and risking a head on with vehicles heading west, the only place I could go was over the gutter, dodge between the lamp post and the road sign, not hit the fence or the next post and park her on the footpath so as not to burst out onto the next street. The old girl handled it with aplomb, just went where I wanted her to go and no-one received any damage. Admittedly it is a 60 zone and I was just under that, but it is a lot of bus to move and not a lot of room between obstacles and included mounting a gutter, so I was fairly happy with the result. He stopped and was very appologetic and obviously very shaken up as was the bride but no injuries, bumps or bruises anywhere. His only complaint was that he was on call that night so couldn't even have a beer when he got home.
BernieQ2

Re: Who says old Beddies don't handle

Post by BernieQ2 »

Well done Trev, I sent you a PM to find out if you were mobile yet.
So I take it all's good with the improved motor.
Ya shoulda dropped in on way south mate, next time?
Bernie.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Scary stuff alright glad everyone and the Beddie were ok.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I would have Bernie but it all became a bit of a rush. Wanted to get on the way Thursday but had a few minor problems to overcome with the fit (the exhaust brake was leaking so they stuffed around fabricating gaskets etc to get a seal) and had to do a basic check underneath while she was over the pit, grease the unis, springs etc so didn't get going till 2:30. We don't drive in the dark but being behind we kept going to try to get to my planned first stop on Friday night and the head light fuse went. Was interesting for a bit with no lights. Luckily there was a rest area within a K so spent the night there, then on Saturday lost 3 hours when she ran out of fuel. According to the dipstick I still had plenty but the pick up didn't agree so had to wait for someone to bring me some. I wanted to get the fuel down a fair bit as it had been sitting for a fair while and wanted to use most of it before mixing in fresh juice. That put us further behind and didn't get to our intended destination that night so had a long haul on Sunday to get back in time for work Monday. Everything went well from there and I think we have a bit better power, certainly she seemed to haul along a lot better, especially on the freeway leading into Brissy. She sat on 2400 rpm cruising along at 90kph so very happy with that. Don't really want to be running over the 2500rpm even with a red line of 27 or 2800 and being able to get along at the 90 kph means I'm a bit less of a road block then I was.

And the best part was that we passed 2 cars on the freeway. Am going to get some stickers made up of little cars, caravans and trucks. Will be able to stick them on the side like the old fighter planes in the war used to put swastikas to indicate kills, mine will be overtakes. I don't expect to get many but the old girl is now officially an ace with 6 cars in total passed LOL
Dot

Post by Dot »

Pokey wrote:
And the best part was that we passed 2 cars on the freeway. Am going to get some stickers made up of little cars, caravans and trucks. Will be able to stick them on the side like the old fighter planes in the war used to put swastikas to indicate kills, mine will be overtakes. I don't expect to get many but the old girl is now officially an ace with 6 cars in total passed LOL
Trev, we have friends that also had an old Bedford and on their big trip they were ecstatic that they passed a vehicle going UP a hill, ok the vehicle was a moped but still :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.