Here we go again.....

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
pelbo

Re: Here we go again.....

Post by pelbo »

Thanks for the replies. As it is, we ordered eight new u-bolts two days ago to replace all of them, since all would have been compromised.

I will ask the repairer about the spacers. Hopefully the bolts will arrive tomorrow and we can be on our way again soon.
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

I would suggest that he old U bolts had run out of thread [because the spacer was left out] and when the nuts were tightened up they stretched the bolt and it was only waiting to happen.

PeterH
PeterH
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

The nuts aren't the problem. Lock nuts are fine. It the nuts had come loose the u-bolt wouldn't have snapped (end result might have been worse.

Situation present two possibilities:
Poor quality metal used to make the u-bolts, or
Nuts over-tightened.

I guess the first.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Too late now but the cost to drill out the holes and go up a size of "U" bolts may have been an idea .... once you get back home perhaps?
Contact a good spring maker for good quality u-bolts. (eg; Sealy's in Mt Gambier)
They make them BEFORE tempering.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

pelbo

Post by pelbo »

Installed better quality u-bolts and also found that there was a spacer in there between the axle and the spring, which had slipped out of the photo shot!