What Is IBD?

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

What Is IBD?

Post by Dot »

Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD), also known as Inflammatory Bowel Disease, is becoming increasingly common in pets and in my experience, is a disease seen mainly in pets that eat some heavily processed commercial pet foods with low meat content. IBD is just one of the many allergic conditions that respond extremely well to a change to a raw meat diet.

What is IBD?

Irritable Bowel Disease is the chronic irritation of the bowel’s lining and an expression of food allergy at the gut level.

IBD is caused by the activation of your pet’s immune system in the gut. Defence cells build up in the lining of your pet’s digestive system as a reaction to a foreign trigger (such an allergy-inducing food like dairy, wheat or heat-treated meat proteins) and cause internal hypermotility (excessive movement of the gastrointestinal tract). This causes food to reach the bowel before it has been digested completely and results in the loss of natural probiotics bacteria in the gut.

The connection between IBD and allergies

The loss of natural probiotic in the gut results in many allergies and autoimmune diseases in pets. This is because the cooking processes involved in preparing commercial pet foods strip out healthy bacteria, which cannot survive cooking at high temperatures. This results in a reduction in your pet’s healthy gut and an increase in the chance of an allergic reaction in the gut.

Symptoms of IBD

The clinical signs of IBD in pets are vomiting and chronic diarrhoea and, if other potential causes of these symptoms are ruled out, IBD is often the diagnosis. Chronic diarrhoea is the most common form of IBD in both cats and dogs and is a sign of a chronic, end-stage food allergy in the gut. Vomiting is a more acute and tell tale sign and is more common in cats than dogs.

Treatment

IBD joins the list of chronic pet diseases such as allergic skin disease, diabetes, obesity and autoimmune gingivitis that are man-made diseases of the 20th century. I say this because I have treated so many pets with IBS where the only change I have made is to their diet and the condition completely resolves itself. Correction of the gut flora is also vital and treatment should always include a probiotic supplement like Protexin or as found in XXX Longer term, a natural fresh meat diet will provide all the normal good probiotic flora essential for your pet’s good health.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Jim

Re: What Is IBD?

Post by Jim »

Ah, the 20th century is finally catching up? :D
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

So, will my irritable bowel syndrome clear up if I stop eating meaty bites? Dame, and the diet was working so well, though the sniffing lamp posts and marking my territory was become a bit of an embarrassment for Crunchie... and Margaret was sick of telling me to get off the road and stop licking my .... fingers.... what were you expecting eh :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

Know you are telling porkies there Terry as you can't bend that far ,,, :) :) :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Jim

Post by Jim »

T1 Terry wrote:So, will my irritable bowel syndrome clear up if I stop eating meaty bites? Dame, and the diet was working so well, though the sniffing lamp posts and marking my territory was become a bit of an embarrassment for Crunchie... and Margaret was sick of telling me to get off the road and stop licking my .... fingers.... what were you expecting eh :lol:
If you actually are suffering from IBS I could throw you a clue of two about it.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Not in this thread, it is for animals and no one here qualifies to that standard. :)