Tips For keeping Pets Safe /Calm During Fireworks

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

Tips For keeping Pets Safe /Calm During Fireworks

Post by Dot »

‘Tis the season for celebrations and with the New Year rapidly approaching thoughts turn to festive fireworks displays and the potential impact they have on our pets.

Fireworks can have an impact on cats and dogs not unlike thunderstorms. The bangs, pops, crackles and flashes of light striking terror into the hearts of our furry friends.

Here are some tips on how to batten down the hatches and see your pets safely through to the New Year…

1. Keep your pets safely contained inside your house, in a secure room with closed windows, curtains and door for soundproofing. As much as possible, clear away objects that might harm them if they panic.

2. Never tie your pet up during a fireworks display – collars can cause injuries to struggling cats and dogs – and don’t punish your pet for displaying fear this will only reinforce their anxiety.

3. Use the television or radio to drown out the sounds of fireworks displays and distract your pets with food and toys.

4. Give cats access to a small, confined crawl space where they can hide such as a box with bedding, a dark cupboard or under furniture.

5. Ideally stay with your pet during fireworks so that you can reassure them and deal with any hazards as they arise. If you can’t be with them, consider asking a close friend or family member who is familiar to your pet can sit with them.

6. Ensure your pets’ IDs are fully up-to-date including microchips and collar tags with current contact details. Then, in the unfortunate incidence that they escape, you will be easily traceable.

Happy New Year!

The Vets All Natural team wishes you, and your pets, a safe, healthy, happy New Year.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
shonky

Re: Tips For keeping Pets Safe /Calm During Fireworks

Post by shonky »

Hi, all.

Dot

7. Then watch your Jack Russell go absolutely and furiously apeshit.
See you on the back roads,
shonky et al.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Have you tried those "thunder jackets" ? my sister has 5 schnauzer's and she has 2 that need the jackets (they do work on her dogs)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
shonky

Post by shonky »

Hi, all.

Dot - no, he's fun to watch, honestly. BTW what's a thunder jacket?
shonky et al.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thunder jackets are like a dog coat but they are also like a compression bandage, makes the dogs feel secure as if being cuddled but not to give them the impression of you accepting /endorsing their anxiety / fears. Maybe google or I can ask my sister later tonight.
Dot

Post by Dot »

my sister said she got her thunder jackets from places like Petstop & My pet warehouse, around $50 but she did say to take the dog into the store and get the staff to fit it for you so you get the right size also to show you how to put them correctly.. I shall have a look in the wholesaler I use. edit..... right name is thunder shirts dog anxiety jackets from ex small - xx large and are $60...
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

We have had the 9pm fireworks and our two dogs continued to laze around as if nothing happened.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Dot

Post by Dot »

Fireworks are not on here as total fire ban plus a fire is in the vicinity. My dogs were never bothered by fireworks either thank goodness.
shonky

Post by shonky »

Hi, all.

Jack's doing a great job protecting us against gunfire. So don't wear a chicken suit, ride a postie bike or fire your 22 near The Doghouse,OK?
shonky et al.