Omega 3 The Essentials

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

Omega 3 The Essentials

Post by Dot »

Omega-3: The Essentials

Omega 3 essential fatty acid (EFA) is an essential fat required for life. Along with Omega 6 it is an integral component of every cell in the body, with balance of these fatty acids on the cell membrane determining how the cell functions.

.Omega-3 can be found naturally in foods such as raw animal fat, cereal grains, fruits and vegetables, however is unstable and easily destroyed (turns rancid) by heat, light, and oxidation. This means normal cooking and processing techniques used today and will cause Omega-3 to deteriorate more quickly in food products than Omega 6 fats. Therefore, many pet food manufacturers have selectively used food groups high in Omega 6 EFA's and low in Omega 3 (cereals and oils like safflower, sunflower and olive oil have little or no Omega 3) resulting in an imbalance of fatty acids and an increase in the prevalence of Omega-3 deficiency in pets.

A deficiency is often most obvious through its effect on your cat or dog’s immune system and their skin/coat. If your pet has experienced any of these common health complaints its possible they may benefit from an Omega-3 supplement:
Hayfever and allergies
Itchy, inflamed or dry flaky skin
Dull or greasy coat
Arthritis
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Omega 3 The Essentials

Post by T1 Terry »

Hayfever and allergies
Itchy, inflamed or dry flaky skin
Dull or greasy coat
Arthritis
Well there ya go, and for all these years I thought the greasy coat was from crawling under the Mazda and the arthritis was just from getting old, but it appears both Crunchie and I are Omega3 deficient.... who woulda thunk it eh :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Dottie,
I use Olive Oil spread rather than margarine. Does that contain Omega 3s? (You quote 'cereal grains, fruit & vegetables' as sources. Is Olly Oil included in 'fruits'?)
I also prefer grain bread to grainless wholemeal...
Am I getting enough? (Omega 3s, that is ;))
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

I don't really bother if the human race gets enough of anything but as long as their animals do then that is great. :) :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.