Pet Obesity. Some simple changes

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

Pet Obesity. Some simple changes

Post by Dot »

The Typical 'Western' diet and lifestyle of too much processed food, too high in carbohydrates, and not enough physical exercise for your pets can put them in a very dangerous situation. It also can lead to conditions such as pancreatitis, early onset arthritis, diabetes and other endocrinal disease, which are all associated with obesity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How Do You Change Your Pet’s Life?

Start with simple changes in your pet’s life such as feeding your pet just once a day in the morning with a natural diet including plenty of fresh meat and bones. Just this one change will kick start the process to longevity for your pets overall health.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat Facts
Cats are less likely to encounter weight control problems than Dogs. Cats naturally “graze” rather than “gorge” on food.

Animals that are at greatest risk are female, neutered, older, poorly exercised, animals with obese owners, "only" pets (i.e. single pet households).

Obesity is the product of a positive energy balance where caloric intake exceeds output, leading to adiposity. Only 5 percent of cases are treatable medically. 95 percent of cases must be treated through control of caloric intake. (Source: Australian Veterinary Association.)

Weight Loss Tips

1. Avoid treats and sharing ‘people food’ with your pet – these are all extra calories that pets don’t need- and only feed once a day in the morning so your pet can work off their meal during the day.

2. A natural diet base of fresh meat, free of anything artificial ensures your dog or cat feels more “full” (satiated) and is lower in calories. Kangaroo meat is great for weight loss due to its low fat and high protein content.

3. Ensure extra daily exercise and your local vet can give can assist with this tip. Weigh your pet each week or so to make sure the scales are going in the right direction.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Keith Morris

Re: Pet Obesity. Some simple changes

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here---"Russell" won't like that ---WOT only one feed a day !!
I am unable to do the extra walking bit but I will give the reduced feed regime a go as he is (I think) overweight at 13 kg. and in my present health state I have trouble lifting him up from ground level.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Dot

Re: Pet Obesity. Some simple changes

Post by Dot »

Good onyu Tanks and remember NO extra scraps off your plate for Mr Russell. Ask Jamie about that fantastic pet food place in Geraldton, the roo from there is fantastic and it comes in frozen 1kg rolls. Any sudden change in diet not good so go slowly.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.