How often to feed your dog

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

How often to feed your dog

Post by Dot »

Do you know how often you should be feeding your dog?

This is a frequently asked question by dog owners universally, and is totally understandable.

A dog that is overfed will more than likely end up obese and could suffer some extremely unpleasant health conditions including degenerative joint disease and cancer.

The complete opposite to canine obesity is, of course, malnourishment due to underfeeding which can lead to a condition that suppresses the immune system, leaving dogs prone to infection, disease, vulnerable to parasites which, the majority of the time, place more strain on their body function.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Key feeding factors

Puppy metabolisms require more protein and energy in their diets than adult dogs whose intake is less.

Puppies should have at least three meals per day until they are between eight and 10 weeks old, then you can reduce their feeds to twice or even once daily, once their rapid growth phase has passed.

Size
The only difference between feeding large and small breed dogs should be portion size – assuming their diet is perfectly balanced!!

Adult dogs, in particularly the large and giant breeds, can be maintained on one meal a day

Small breeds, which have a higher metabolic rate, may require two feeds a day to meet their energy requirements.

Diet
It’s important to ensure your choice of diet is at the highest level of nutrition, as this influences how much to feed your dog per day. I recommend a balanced fresh meat diet.

Vets All Natural products carry nutritional guides that include feeding frequencies. Frequency can also depend on your dog’s exercise routine and metabolic rate - which will vary from dog to dog.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nutritional boosting

Evidence shows that if you replace your dog’s regular meal once or twice a week with a feed of meaty bones (AKA a bone fast) it will benefit your pet's body function including joint health, oral hygiene and bone strength. Fasting promotes and activates healing mechanisms in the body, and it improves overall health and longevity.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BernieQ2

Re: How often to feed your dog

Post by BernieQ2 »

We only feed our working dogs once a day but only 6 days they never were feed 7 days in a row .
Bernie .
Dot

Post by Dot »

I did the same with my sprog but he never worked so guess I over fed him :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
GregnDee

Post by GregnDee »

Hi Dot

With the puppy, which is a toy/mini poodle, we are feeding him three times a day, he's now 4 months and he has small meals. The adults, Alfie and Bertie, ate now 18 months old, and we've changed back to two meals a day, but halved the amount, so they get no more. We feed them after their morning walk, which is normally over an hour on the beach ( I walk, they run). We feed them raw, some Black Hawk and that stuff you got me to try when we were there at Xmas. That works well. They also get carrots etc. treats are home dehydrated liver and meat. I really don't want to feed them once a day. Although I guess it's easier. And we do give them raw meaty bones a couple of times a week. Plus chicken wings, or carcasses. Even the pup has chicken wing, but only a tiny bit.
Are we doing the right thing?
Cheers
Dee
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

I feed Phoenix all the love he can eat..... the big sook.
Dot

Post by Dot »

GregnDee wrote:Hi Dot

With the puppy, which is a toy/mini poodle, we are feeding him three times a day, he's now 4 months and he has small meals. The adults, Alfie and Bertie, ate now 18 months old, and we've changed back to two meals a day, but halved the amount, so they get no more. We feed them after their morning walk, which is normally over an hour on the beach ( I walk, they run). We feed them raw, some Black Hawk and that stuff you got me to try when we were there at Xmas. That works well. They also get carrots etc. treats are home dehydrated liver and meat. I really don't want to feed them once a day. Although I guess it's easier. And we do give them raw meaty bones a couple of times a week. Plus chicken wings, or carcasses. Even the pup has chicken wing, but only a tiny bit.
Are we doing the right thing?
Cheers
Dee

Sounds good to me kiddo and the boys are fit and healthy (so Brian tells me) I always fed my Dobes twice a day and never before any running about. Glad your boys like carrots :lol: :lol: :lol:
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I feed Bandit just once a day, usually just after I have had a feed. I never give him bones anymore as he has had a bit of trouble digesting them in the past.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Dot

Post by Dot »

David have you tried Brisket Bones, the whole thing can be munched up but please make sure there is NOT a lot of fat as some dogs are prone to bouts of pancreatitis and that is not nice.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Either those or neck of mutton.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Jon and Kay

Post by Jon and Kay »

Lady has a small breakfast of leftovers (usually there aren't any), 6 Good Os for lunch, a teaspoon of peanut butter in her kong for play at abot 2pm, a dog biscuit a happy hour , at 5pm a small serve of canned muck. She also eats anything she can find during her many walks each day. I'm a bit worried as she was only 2kg when we adopted her, now she has weighed 7kg for the past three years.
Jon