silence is golden...

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: silence is golden...

Post by T1 Terry »

Democracy is based on any decision made by our chosen parliamentary members being open to discussion that validates the reason for a new law to be passed. Voting along party lines closes that discussion down, that is where the parties need to convince the independents that what they propose is in the nations best interest and not in the best interest of someone who might be getting some sort of kickback or a return favour.
Sadly, often those supporting votes are bought by granting the wishes of the independent they need to support them by adding a bill that supports what ever their cause is written into the bill they want passed.
That makes it easy to buy off a few independents, but if there is a large cross bench that they have to win over, then they have to do it the proper way, by convincing the people that this is in the nations best interest so the people convince the independent that they are happy with the bill being supported.
Can you see any member of parliament putting up a bill that would see serious scrutiny and put before the general public that could catch them out feathering their own nest? That is what a strong cross bench can achieve, I can't see any problems with keeping the bastards honest, the catch cry of Don Chipp and the Democrats. I think it is now the time of the independents to keep them honest, or at least shine the light on them when they think they are being dishonest ....
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Re: ScoMo's election promise of a tax cut...

"Labor Liberals can't manage money" :roll: 8-)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I'm sure many will say, "Don't be ridiculous Jim", but I've often wondered how parliament might work if there were no political parties at all.

That's it. That's the only change. We still vote for our local representative. After the count is in, the members of the lower house vote for who will be PM. Or, would a PM even be needed?

Any sitting member can introduce a bill and the house debates it and then votes on it. Nobody votes along party lines as there are no parties.

Sometimes I think of this and feel it could work better. Then on another occasion I think it could never work. So, just a thought for possible conversation.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Grandad wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:34 am I'm sure many will say, "Don't be ridiculous Jim", but I've often wondered how parliament might work if there were no political parties at all.

That's it. That's the only change. We still vote for our local representative. After the count is in, the members of the lower house vote for who will be PM. Or, would a PM even be needed?

Any sitting member can introduce a bill and the house debates it and then votes on it. Nobody votes along party lines as there are no parties.

Sometimes I think of this and feel it could work better. Then on another occasion I think it could never work. So, just a thought for possible conversation.

Jim
It might end up similar to the British parliament, no clear decision, or some of the European parliaments where they are dissolved because they can not get a workable arrangement.
Labor did battle through a parliamentary cycle as a minority govt, so cross benchers and small party support can result in a functioning govt without any particular barrow being pushed through.
I always laugh when a Lib puts forward the "2 party preferred or primary vote," without it actually being 2 parties combined to form a coalition, their individual party share of the primary vote would put them back with the One Nation and such like power bases, next to nothing.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I've often wondered why the so-called coalition continues as such. Why not just become one party? At least it's a vast improvement on olden days when, if the Liberals won a majority in their own right, there was no coalition. But.....if they didn't, suddenly there was.
I used to wonder how long the NP would put up with that. Eventually of course, they did say 'enough is enough' Good on 'em!
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I think if you were a farmer out in some isolated area like between Balranald & West Wylong you'd be very happy that at least one or two pollies have your back.
I have been in both camps.
I worked at GMH at Dandenong & I have owned a couple of small businesses.
Wipe out all businesses & there'll only be Gov workers left in Australia. Almost at that stage already.
I'm not sure how much Gov workers bring into Australia's economy. (rather take it out?)
I wasn't going to get into politics but ......
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

BruceS wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:25 pm I think if you were a farmer out in some isolated area like between Balranald & West Wylong you'd be very happy that at least one or two pollies have your back.
I have been in both camps.
I worked at GMH at Dandenong & I have owned a couple of small businesses.
Wipe out all businesses & there'll only be Gov workers left in Australia. Almost at that stage already.
I'm not sure how much Gov workers bring into Australia's economy. (rather take it out?)
I wasn't going to get into politics but ......
:lol: I made the most money in business when the Labor party was in office, lost the lot when the Libs took over, so I can't say the Libs ever supported small business. Big business is a different story, maybe I just didn't have enough money to benefit from the Libs policies :lol:
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

BruceS wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:25 pm I think if you were a farmer out in some isolated area like between Balranald & West Wylong you'd be very happy that at least one or two pollies have your back.
i'm assuming this is in response to my comment about NP being a separate party.
I'm from Central Victoria surrounded by farmland and most of my time here has been away from the city of Bendigo itself.
I can tell you that almost without exception all the farmers I've ever talked to have all been Labor voters.
We have two federal and one state seat here. All three held for some years by Labor. Interestingly, all three are ladies and all are highly regarded locally.
I'm don't think the NP even has a candidate here anymore.
Jim
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)