Can't activate or can't login?

Please report any problems you encounter so we can get them fixed.
BruceS
Site Admin

Can't activate or can't login?

Post by BruceS »

A couple of people have reported a bit of trouble either activating their accounts or logging in once they do come back to the forum.
If this happens to you can you please report it to admin@ozervnews.com and PLEASE! tell us who you are.
I've had a couple tell me they can't activate their accounts but I have no idea who they are!
Most are having no trouble so it may just be a spam filter stopping the emails from getting to you.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

shonky

Re: Can't activate or can't login?

Post by shonky »

Hi.
Just lost the draft for my first post. Can anyone assist?
Thanks and Merry Xmas,

See you on the back roads,
shonky
See you on the back roads,
shonky et al.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Hi Shonky,
I have asked "daboss" to look into your draft loss, so hang tight and help will be with you soon.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Hi Shonky,

If you go to your Control Panel & look in the PM tab you should see 'drafts'. If it's not in there then you are out of luck I'm afraid.
No one else except you can access your PM's ... not even the forum owner.
Did you lose it halfway through composing it or did you put it in the drafts folder?

I suspect it's gone into the never never...... gee there must be a lot flying around up there somewhere!!!

8-) :geek:
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Lost posts are the fuel of the ether, not sure what fueled it before the interweb though, maybe lost snail mail :lol:
I try to remember to do a right click copy or cut, then a paste to a black word page, I can check my shocking spelling a typing there as well. Then cut and paste back to the forum, then if it goes off to the ether a right click and paste and the clever dud in the 'puter writes another one from memory :D That dud has a great memory, he can remember it for hrs but it must be a male, he forgets it once he's had a sleep and can only remember two things if he wrote the first one down somewhere
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Jon and Kay

Post by Jon and Kay »

I doubt many people log-out, hence they don't have an issue. I don't have any problem until I log off, and then it becomes a nightmare.
I have previously advised that the default entry into the user name is the email address, but should be the user name. I get rid of the cookie, but it gets replaced each time I log in again, which is quite a process. When warned that the username/password combo is incorrect, it then warns that I have exceeded the maximum number of login attempts, so must add a gotcha. When entering the gotcha, the wrong user name is reentered automatically, so hence a second failure. I then re-enter the correct user name, but must be careful as this automatically deletes the password which must again be re-enetered, and then the gotcha must be completed again.
I think the cookie needs to be written to include the correct login/username. ? :)
Jon
norman
Location: Home Base...Paeroa.NZ OZ Base. Where ever we happen to be.......

Post by norman »

Jon MMMMMMMMMM8 Do you want a job :?: :?: :?: :?:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
If at first you dont succeed, Skydiving is not for you.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Jon I'm almost certain that the cookie is on your computer and has recorded what you entered at some stage and told it to remember it.
Try logging out then try logging in with an obviously wrong password and tell your computer to remember it. Now do it again with the correct username & password and once again tell it to correct it when it informs you of "it's different".
I can reset all cookies on the board but then everyone will need to sign in again & I bet half have forgotten their passwords!
Let me know if that works for you?
I've never seen my email in that login form & no one else has that I'm aware of.
If need be I can 'reset' your account?

PS. Jon what browser are you using?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Jon and Kay

Post by Jon and Kay »

Norman...no :)
Using chrome. Will test again this afternoon, when i return.
Jon
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Just for a test I signed out, and then clicked sign in.
The sign in form opened up with no entries in either the user or password spaces.
As soon as I typed the first letter it presented me with a long list of all usernames I've used starting with that letter. If I changed the letter to another name that I had (wrongly) used before, it presented me with that list.
I simply then clicked the correct one & it filled in my password (previously told to remember it), I click the 'remember me' & signed in.
BruceS
Mannum, SA