More than 1700 registered for Campervan & Motorhome Rally

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: More than 1700 registered for Campervan & Motorhome Rall

Post by T1 Terry »

Agreed Jim, I was just putting my 2 bobs worth in, didn't expect all to agree with me. My first rally was Berri in SA, 400 people, very friendly in the majority, but I certainly didn't get to meet all that attended and I'm a fairly out going person. Each rally got bigger, 11 in all, the last was the 2nd rally at Barcaldine, so many people and vehicles there, no hope of seeing them all. No hope of seeing any of the night time entertainment unless you had minders holding seats, that was very much a chapter type thing, the sea of same coloured shirts in clusters reminded me of the old days at school. So many people there, but ask Collyn & Marrit Rivers how many happy hours they were invited to, yet they would be two of the better known club members wouldn't they? Just too clicky for me I'm affraid, but there are those who enjoy the rallies and it's a good thing they do, everyone is just a little bit different, keeps the world an interesting place eh :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

Too jam packed for me, I like to be able to go to the loo without worrying about the one next door.. If you like em go if you don't don't. Bit like church hey?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Dot wrote:Too jam packed for me, I like to be able to go to the loo without worrying about the one next door.. If you like em go if you don't don't. Bit like church hey?
Or the pub...or whatever??
TigerMK1

Post by TigerMK1 »

Dot wrote:Too jam packed for me, I like to be able to go to the loo without worrying about the one next door.. If you like em go if you don't don't. Bit like church hey?
If your onboard is constructed well, don't worry about others. Same with church, well attended, don't worry about others.
homeless

Post by homeless »

Should be more rallies as it keeps them all together away from where I am camped, and leaves more free camp space for us poor non members and people who like their peace.
For me any more than 20 people is too big.
I prefer to be on my own and be able to enjoy the country as it is meant to be enjoyed.
No noise and no pressure to conform and be here or there at a certain time and no room to move.
besides I like to go where I like and stay until I am ready to leave.
I enjoy my life style as I assume they like theirs so everyone should be happy, but it is a bit like those that always stay in parks recon we should not bush camp but they don't realise if all us full timers had to go to their jails then they would not get a spot for their monthly or three monthly jaunt up and down the coast restricted to a strict timetable.
I have never been to a rally and had no intention to go to one, but many times have been harassed when I accidentally camp where there was a chapter meeting or there was rally people who believe if you have a motor home then you MUST join that club and be a member of a chapter etc etc. Sorry not for this little black duck.
I want the ability to enjoy whoever IO meet and also to move on when it suits me.

Regards
Brian
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status
Kit Kat

Post by Kit Kat »

Maryborough braces for grey nomads influx

About 1,000 motor home and caravan enthusiasts are on their way to Maryborough in southern Queensland for a national convention.

The week-long event starts next week and attracts grey nomads from around Australia.

Roads in south-east Queensland are busier than usual when combined with the traffic generated by the annual winter migration from southern states.

Julie Callinan is travelling to Maryborough with her husband Peter and she objects to the term "grey nomad".

"I just don't really think that we're nomads," she said.

"I just think that we're travellers enjoying the great country that we've got here of Australia.

"The hair's turned grey now - we do have a home - it's on wheels."

She says they are never in a rush.

"We don't start until about half-past-nine," she said.

"We've got to pull over at half-past-ten for a cup of coffee, lunch at about noon, and by half-past-two we're looking for a place to get off the road and spend the night."

Peter Callinan has had a motor home for years and admits the influx of slow-moving tourists can be frustrating.

Source: ABC News. Read more here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-29/m ... ection=qld
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Hmmmm..... I think the caravan enthusiasts will be a tad disappointed when they rock up at the gates :roll: you have to wonder what level of fact finding these news reporters do before they pump out these news stories, any news story for that matter. I thought the ABC would be at least a bit closer to the mark, but it doesn't seem so.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

If all you have tyo object to is being called a "grey nomad" then think yourself lucky :roll: better than some of the names we could be called :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

I'm there and I'm not sure how many MH are her but will let you all know when I find out, but there is a bloody lot.
PeterH
TigerMK1

Post by TigerMK1 »

Well we enjoyed ourselves. The Volunteers provided very good bus services to town and around the site. The tiolet & shower blocks were spotless and the water was hot. The entertainment was very good. Together with our neighbours, we won the trivea contest. Who knows the captain of the Titanic? We did'nt however, what is the most common name in the english speaking world? Yup, Captain Smith got us to the finish line. The Town had great attractions and we enjoyed them. Now back home, the Lady's cat died while we were away, so not all bells & whistles. Off on a cruise the week after this so our Fuso gets a rest.

Oh, the very new 9 tonner RV should not have left the site and then returned, instead of reversing in, drove around the back, and oops, 9 ton sank down, the driver did not assist by lowering his tire pressure, just kept revving. 2 hours later, a kind local bought in his huge 4wd tractor, it was massive. The 9 tonner popped out. We all had a dam good time. :D :D :D