August 2013 Photos

Please feel free to post any of your favorite photos here for our monthly competition.
No limit on how many per month and subject unlimited (at this stage!) and should be taken by yourself or anyone else around you. (not from a glossy magazine etc)No chat on here please...
graynomad

Re: Nth Qld Crocodiles

Post by graynomad »

Yep, in OZ anywhere that's warm enough to swim isn't safe enough, and anywhere that's safe enough isn't warm enough :)

_____
Rob
Dot

Post by Dot »

Just can't tell some people can you? No way would I get that close to the water up there. They is big buggers. :o
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I'm in discussion with Kevin to make these lovely photos a lot bigger (800 to 1000pixels wide) & then we'll get them into the right place for the competition.
Wouldn't catch me even getting into a bath tub up around that area!!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

generdawg

Post by generdawg »

BruceS wrote:Wouldn't catch me even getting into a bath tub up around that area!!
Yeah, well we've been meaning to talk to you about that Bruce. :lol:

But you know what I like? It's how we teach these critters that we are rooly tasty by dangling a pole and line with chicken carcus over them. :( You could argue that they know the difference between a chicken and a small child - yeah, you could, but I wouldn't.

dawg (friend in NT used to tell me, "tiles and taps", otherwise don't go near the water)
Experience is a wonderful thing. It helps you recognise a mistake when repeated.
John M

Post by John M »

generdawg wrote:
BruceS wrote:Wouldn't catch me even getting into a bath tub up around that area!!
Yeah, well we've been meaning to talk to you about that Bruce. :lol:

But you know what I like? It's how we teach these critters that we are rooly tasty by dangling a pole and line with chicken carcus over them. :( You could argue that they know the difference between a chicken and a small child - yeah, you could, but I wouldn't.

dawg (friend in NT used to tell me, "tiles and taps", otherwise don't go near the water)
There was a documentary on the Kodiak Bears in Canada, a while back, where they were sharing the river with anglers, along the ridge was a battalion of rangers, if an angler had a fish on the line, and a bear was approaching within a designated distance the angler had to cut his line, and release the fish, the theory was if the Bears started associating the anglers with food, then it was only a small step to them associating the anglers as food.
If you go up the Daly river in the NT, particularly coming towards Browns Ck, there is a big Bull there that would be in excess of 18 ft (5m) that swims out to meet boats coming in. Scary! if you are in a 12ft dinghy. I wouldn't go in that river anymore in anything with less than three funnels!
"Recycled Teenagers", John, Shirley and Four legged person Beau, travelling in a 7m Isuzu bus towing a trailer. Enjoying the fellowship of the road
Greynomad

Re: August 2013 Photos

Post by Greynomad »

Kakadu Ranger advised us that the only safe place to swim was the pool at the resort... :? :shock:
============
Had an hilarious (to us) encounter with a Ranger at Berry Springs on our first trip to NT:
We were swimming with half-a-dozen others in the weir, approaching sunset.
Ranger (female) appears and orders us all out of the water.
"Why?" we ask.
"Because there are crocs down-river which range close to the weir hunting food." came the reply.
Says I, "Why don't you just put signs under the water saying 'No Crocodiles permitted past this point' ?"
With a straight face, and no hint of sarcasm, she answered "Because the crocs can't read."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think she'd had a humour-ectomy...
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Ros20549

Post by Ros20549 »

No.25....

Cute Little Caravans on the Gem Fields at Sapphire.
P1120813.JPG
Cheers Ros.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Most people spend their healthy years trying to be wealthy, only to spend their wealthy years trying to be healthy....
Dot

Post by Dot »

Ripper Ros, are they "on site" vans or permanents? :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
generdawg

Post by generdawg »

Dot wrote:... are they "on site" vans or permanents? :D
:lol: :lol: really Dot, adorned with those Sally Fields bonnets and you have to ask? :lol:

dawg
Experience is a wonderful thing. It helps you recognise a mistake when repeated.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Silly Canadian :roll: I meant are they ones for rent, just a pretty thing to look at, a coffee shop, or maybe just a place to put an old van and paint it :?: Did you get to go in one Ros? Don't take any notice of Brad, he must of had a red or two :lol: