Kindle Fire 4G

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Greynomad

Kindle Fire 4G

Post by Greynomad »

Hi all,
Does anyone have experience with the Kindle Fire 4G?
Does the 4G from the USofA work with OUR 4G? :?:
(Refer: Apple's recent iPad 4G brouhaha.) :oops:
On Another Forum I have had one pronouncement of the Universal Disambiguation ("NO" :? ) and another post quoting frequencies left right & centre, which confused me no end. :(
The Kindle Fire bumf online says it has 10 frequencies for 4G. Surely one of them works in Oz! :cry:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
RussellB[SA]

Re: Kindle Fire 4G

Post by RussellB[SA] »

I have read quite a lot, the answer for you is it is highly unlikely to be compatible with australian 4G networks. BUT

Safest thing is to buy local, sorry.

I quote from http://theconversation.edu.au/explainer-what-is-4g-9448

Last year the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) took Apple to court because the latter was selling a new product (the new iPad) in Australia with the term “4G” in the product marketing.

In fact, due to different implementations of 4G around the world the iPad operates with 4G LTE in the US and existing 3G networks in Australia. As a result of the litigation Apple changed the name of the product in Australia and removed all references to 4G.

The lesson to be learned is that “4G” can mean different things in different parts of the world. Your Australian 4G device may not work when you go overseas so, if you are travelling, be sure to contact your carrier before you go to see if your device will work at your destination.

see http://theconversation.edu.au/explainer-what-is-4g-9448
Russell Barter from South Australia AKA "Death on Wheels"
Mitsubishi Challenger towing a Jurgen 2406 Caravan. Its all about fun with friends travelling our great country.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Russell,
Thanks for the reply & link. I read The Explainer's article on 4G, and now I'm more confused.
The Kindle Fire advertises itself as "4G-LTE".
Does that mean in a future upgrade we will have compatibility? :?:
BTW, the Oz site selling K-Fires has only one model: the 16GB WiFi-only base model - with ads. :(
From the US I can buy a 32GB or 64GB model without ads for less $$$! Either with or without 4G-LTE. :shock:
Gotta choose soon for Santa's pick-up run... :roll:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
RussellB[SA]

Post by RussellB[SA] »

Greynomad wrote:Russell,
Thanks for the reply & link. I read The Explainer's article on 4G, and now I'm more confused.
The Kindle Fire advertises itself as "4G-LTE".
Does that mean in a future upgrade we will have compatibility?
Kindles aren't expensive, I'd buy local just to be sure, it would be more expensive if you bought US model and it didn't work!

My experience with these things is they connect wirelessly with their own 3G whatever connection (no account required) piggybacking on an unknown 3G provider.

Play it safe, and yes it is confusing. :?:
Mitsubishi Challenger towing a Jurgen 2406 Caravan. Its all about fun with friends travelling our great country.
rayjanround

Post by rayjanround »

Asked the question on Kindle Forums, was advised they don't know what the frequency bands are, only information comes from Amazon spec sheet. Another poster claimed that Kindle Fire 4G was locked to AT&T in USA with nowhere to insert any other sim card. I would steer clear at least at the moment till things become clearer. BTW we have 2 of the Kindle Keyboard models with wifi & they work great, we have wifi network in van & connect them to the internet thru that. We have a Telstra 4g wifi modem that allows all our devices to connect at either 4G or 3g, whatever is available.
Ray
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Hi Ray and welcome to the forum,
Margaret has one of the keyboard Kinddles too and she is very happy with it. I get to read about half a page over her shoulder when reading in bed before she flicks to the next page so I've read half of a few books :lol: The different frequencies between WiFi stuff is a similar drama to the zone thing with DVD's yrs back, you could buy much cheaper DVD's overseas but they wouldn't work in the player so they weren't cheaper at all :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

GOOD NEWS!
Checked back on the Readershop site (Kindle's Oz distributor) & they now have a 32GB model! :P
So I've ordered that one. SWMBO's 'bread & butter' Kindle, purchased in Sept for her birthday, is 16KB.
Like you, T1, I occasionally get to 'steal' it to read some of the books I'VE bought or downloaded from the free list.
Ray, I'll try setting up a wireless network using Airport. Should be simple. (Famous Last Words...)
Sandy Claws is coming early... but I'll still have to wait: it's a birthday/Christmas present from SWMBO. :)
Should arrive Mon or Tues... I hope. Then wait for birthday to unwrap it... hee hee hee. :lol:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

:o
Oh, Dear! :(
Since placing my order, I've checked back on the <Readershop.com.au> website, and the new 32GB Fire 7" is SOLD OUT!
I'm not sure if my order helped sell all stocks, or if I'm on the 'next shipment' list. :?
I decided (on advice from this thread) to forgo the 4G option and just get the WiFi only model, and try setting up my own WiFi network with Airport (MacBook Pro). If that fails, I'll try using our Telstra 3G dongle...
If/when my K-Fire arrives, I'll report back on success or otherwise.
Meanwhile, anyone else running a Mac and using Airport for a Wi-Fi network, I'd appreciate some feedback/tips.

PS: 1100hrs - Just checked internet banking. Funds withdrawn today.
Looks like I made it into the former category & helped sell it out... Readershop doesn't take your money until they're ready to ship the goods. :D
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
RussellB[SA]

Post by RussellB[SA] »

I am a Fruit man, running iPhones, MacBook Pro, 2 X iMacs and 2 iPads(Bothe wireless only).

To connect to the iPhone (to use their data allocation) is simple using wifi and feel free to contact for assistance.

dapope

Post by dapope »

RussellB[SA] wrote:I am a Fruit man, running iPhones, MacBook Pro, 2 X iMacs and 2 iPads(Bothe wireless only).
AAAAH...... that explains EVERYTHING!!!!

To connect to the iPhone (to use their data allocation) is simple using wifi and feel free to contact for assistance.

Last edited by dapope on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..