Dont Lock Up Australia!!!

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
John M

Re: Dont Lock Up Australia!!!

Post by John M »

On reading the original post I found that on following the link and then taking it further, it was in fact a blurb for a newly formed NSW political party, "The outdoor recreation Party (Stop The Greens)" that lists it's aims a Free access to public land, one of their listed policies was stated as
Government services • No competing with the private sector,
so I sent an email asking for some explanation of this, I received the following:
Hi John,
I appreciate your concern. However, our view is that cheap Council caravan parks are merely subsidised by ratepayers and not a solution. Better options would be:
1. No ownership of caravan parks by government (state, local or federal). The government should not engage in business.
2. Fewer restrictions on caravan park establishment by private operators, so that there was more supply and lower prices.
3. Facilities for caravaners to dump their waste without staying the night. We wouldn’t mind if Councils provided these.
4. Removal of restrictions on free camping. I’ve done it myself many times.
Regards,
David Leyonhjelm

I replied as Follows
Hi David,
In reply to your email Item 4 is in complete denial of items 1 and 2.
As is the current stand of the Caravan Parks association who see free camping and all its ramifications as being in unfair competition to their own interests, and they appear to be doing their utmost to make it illegal.
You obviously of the opinion that the $500 per week (which is the budget of most travellers, (being in effect the pension for a couple) spent by the average motorhome/ caravan on an extended trip, is not significant, unless it is first filtered through the pockets of a caravan park, and that other small business is less valued, as a ratepayer, than the owner of a Caravan Park.
Go and have a look at Home Hill, Theodore, Ravenshoe and Babinda, all in Queensland, who all have free camps and who willingly will explain that up to 80% of the town's income comes from the Grey Nomads, who shun the adjacent larger towns, though they often have cheaper prices, but insist that every one stays in their Caravan Jails.
Go for a drive and look at the number of the older generation who are out there, yet the Caravan park Association will tell you that they form less than 3% of their custom, it is no wonder that they are trying earnestly to legislate (and blackmail) all into their parks in an attempt to gain some share of this market. Would not it make more sense for them to enter some form of marketing plan and determine why they are not getting a share of this market. I can tell you in one word PRICE.
You state that you are of the opinion that cheaper council owned Caravan parks are subsidised by the rate payers, do not all land owners pay rates, if my rates are used to establish a council owned park, that does not allow permanents and provides only basic facilities, in my area. I would be very happy about it, I would probably never use it, though I would use the same services in a distant shire or state. Surely all rights and privileges are reciprocal.

I assume that will be the last I will hear from them.
"Recycled Teenagers", John, Shirley and Four legged person Beau, travelling in a 7m Isuzu bus towing a trailer. Enjoying the fellowship of the road
Dot

Post by Dot »

I would say you are right with "the last you hear from them" good reply John :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
generdawg

Post by generdawg »

John M wrote:... that does not allow permanents....
Talk about an each way bet! Some of those carabin* parks have so many cabins that when travellers roll up they can't even roll out their awning. I have proof!

dawg (*cabin park masquerading as a caravan park)

PS I'll bet councils with vested interest in park(s) don't charge the park(s) full land rates either!!!
Experience is a wonderful thing. It helps you recognise a mistake when repeated.
John M

Post by John M »

generdawg wrote:
John M wrote:... that does not allow permanents....
Talk about an each way bet! Some of those carabin* parks have so many cabins that when travellers roll up they can't even roll out their awning. I have proof!

dawg (*cabin park masquerading as a caravan park)

PS I'll bet councils with vested interest in park(s) don't charge the park(s) full land rates either!!!
We attempted to get into a Caravan park (Moondarra C.P.) in what is probably the most RV Unfriendly Town in Australia, Mt Isa, we rang four CPs and Moondarra said they could probably fit us in, when we got there, there were over 90 King Vans (40ft onsite vans with four dongas per van) with probably twelve sites available most of them full, the only one that was available to us was behind the toilet block and I would have had to of left the trailer and car outside the park! unfortunately I was tired and cranky so I let them know what I felt about their park, then rang up the mayor's office and gave the poor girl there a spray as well (unfortunately the mayor wasn't in or he would have copped it). I did leave him a rather detailed email of what I thought of Mt Isa but he never even did me the courtesy of acknowledging that.
I wasn't pleased unfortunately we arrived with only a sniff of fuel in the tank (Put 199l in 210l tank), and had already filled up, otherwise I would not have spent a penny in town, and will take every precaution to assure we not do so in the future.
"Recycled Teenagers", John, Shirley and Four legged person Beau, travelling in a 7m Isuzu bus towing a trailer. Enjoying the fellowship of the road
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

There needs to be a list kept, a serious list on this site for members here of towns like this. I'll bet the CMHC wouldn't dare do a list like this....of bloody course not....You forget most of them over time and a simple list with some of the complaints /details of fellow travelers experiences and complaints would sure benefit all of us. How about it Admin...... I know the grey grape vine etc. gets the message out but having a pre planned map would be great of the towns to avoid and to make sure as in John's case to make sure you are fueled up and stocked up before you have to stop in an unfriendly town like this bog hole.

Dirk
generdawg

Post by generdawg »

John M wrote:what is probably the most RV Unfriendly Town in Australia, Mt Isa,
What a shame. I had similar experience finding somewhere to camp in Isa. Turns out that you can (at least the year I was there) overnight stay at the visitor information centre complete with showers which come with hot water for an extra $2 per three or four minutes. HOWEVER, a few km north out of town, on the Barkly Hwy, parking was available at the RSL for the asking. Was handy walking distance for a cheap meal too. This was just before the rodeo hit town, so it was a given they were accommodating travellers. I was outa there before the cowboy circus, so all went well there for me.
P1040761x.jpg
dawg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Experience is a wonderful thing. It helps you recognise a mistake when repeated.
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

By the same token we should be listing the GOOD towns that do the right thing and go beyond the norm. Not this RV friendly and RV other crap whatever it is. Get a genuine good experience and bad experience list. Most of us will be on limited expenses at times and looking for a decent stay not being ripped off.

Dirk
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Admins & Mods are currently considering this idea.
Anyone would like to throw their thoughts in is welcome to reply here or PM me.
There could be fors & Agins as is always the way in life!!!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

generdawg

Post by generdawg »

BruceS wrote:There could be fors & Agins as is always the way in life!!!
This idea was discussed on another forum with the invariable thorny devil of traveller A at location X being horrible, while traveller B at location X being the best ever. You end up having to "consider the source" and whether you feel that source had an axe to grind - especially if they had a habit of annoying towns and get an appropriate tailor made response. This is not to say the exercise is not worthwhile, as I for one am in favour. Just be aware that the above can be a fly in the ointment.

dawg
norman
Location: Home Base...Paeroa.NZ OZ Base. Where ever we happen to be.......

Post by norman »

BruceS wrote:Admins & Mods are currently considering this idea.
Anyone would like to throw their thoughts in is welcome to reply here or PM me.
There could be fors & Agins as is always the way in life!!!
Ok Bruce lets do it.. Nobody else is....A for and against...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
If at first you dont succeed, Skydiving is not for you.