Rat info

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Dot

Rat info

Post by Dot »

I saw a rat in the pergola just after we got home, thought it was because we had not been around for some weeks but this arvo I was shuffling around the other side of the house and there it was again, it popped through the fence (into the jungle) next door. Q/ If we put a rat trap down would it also catch birds like those top notch pigeons? Is rat sack eaten by birds?? My pussy does not like rats ;)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Rat info

Post by T1 Terry »

Are you certain it is a rat and not an Aust masupial? https://www.google.com.au/search?q=aust ... 24&bih=567 they won't cause you any trouble, like to clean up pests including snails and slugs. They are timid and shy, would not face you and bare it's teeth like rat would, they will run away if they can fid some where to go.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

So what am I supposed to do with the thing? not going to get face to face with it to see if it snarls at me. G does that.. It looks like a few of those pics on that site but they look like rats to me as well. :?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Dot, If you have birds, then eventually you will get rats. If they have made their way into the roof space of the house then put Ratsak or a similar product inside the roof space. If they are only outside then get a Jack Russell. You are lucky that you don't live in Qld because if you have birds and rats you will generally also have a python nearby.
Warning: Never put rat baits/ poison anywhere that anything other than the target species can gain access to it. Dogs love it apparently, but it is never a happy ending.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Going to see if we can get a cage /trap to see if we can catch it just in case it is one of Terry's natives. Nothing in the roof. Flo's Jack Russell was a great ratter but she is going blind and is deaf as, so she is not much use any more.. That python reason is why I would NOT entertain living up there. Friend of ours did some house alterations and found the biggest old skin in the wall cavity.. = no thank you. G needs to see this ?rat as he has seen more of them close up. :D
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

I saw one of these native rats after it had eaten a heap of rat sack, it was so sad to see, I had to do the shovel thing to put it out of it's misery. they are completely harmless, will not nest in your roof or eat the wiring etc, you can tell them by there bigger than normal ears that are rounded rather than long and it rotates them around like a cat to sense the direction of sounds. The ears are almost see through, hair more like a kangaroo or wallably than a rat. The tail length, black rats have tails longer than the body, marcupial rats have a tail about the same length or shorter than their body.
this might help as well http://australianmuseum.net.au/Is-it-a-Rat
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

My last cat used to bring it's latest "live find" from the bush for the usual "aint I smart" inspection.
I was concerned that it was catching marsupials till an old bloke told me the difference between the locals and the introduced ship's rat.
The locals are a BROWN shade and the ships rats are BLACK.
made it a lot easier to sort out the catches and return the locals to the bush.
The foreigners got short shift and somehow died before escaping.

The cat never ate any of them but brought them home for praise and inspection.

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
Dot

Post by Dot »

And the rest is up to the G man. :lol:
homeless

Post by homeless »

Perhaps a report to the local council may get the block cleaned up. Especially if there is a school or a place frequented by kids nearby.
Regards
Brian
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status
norman
Location: Home Base...Paeroa.NZ OZ Base. Where ever we happen to be.......

Post by norman »

Get a rat trap Dot
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
If at first you dont succeed, Skydiving is not for you.