Canvas v Shade Cloth?

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Dot

Canvas v Shade Cloth?

Post by Dot »

Opinions please, what would you use for awnings e.g. over fridge vents and windows? Canvas or shade cloth?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
GregnDee

Re: Canvas v Shade Cloth?

Post by GregnDee »

Canvas is more durable than shade cloth, and stops more heat coming through...

Shade cloth is lighter, but not much.

That's why we have canvas...

Cheers
Dee
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

mmm not too sure about that Dee?
Canvas tarps on semi trailers do last quite a long time but they do eventually weaken. (or rot?)
External (doh!) shade cloth comes in various 'shades' and will literally last a lifetime.
There was green shadecloth over our back patio that we rebuilt a while back. One was a waterproof one & the rest was porous.
Both were still VERY strong after more than 20 years.
Wouldn't you need a lot of venting through the fridge vents? Why do you need to cover them? Stop spiders?
I've never seen canvas that would allow air through it.
I saw a few windows yesterday in the Naracoorte Hospital that had a thin grey (very light grey) roller blind INSIDE the window facing the hot afternoon sun.
It was unbelievable how I could still see so much through it but how much sunshine it filtered out.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

GregnDee

Post by GregnDee »

Bruce the one we have over the fridge comes out at the top and then down and out some more, so it gives plenty of breathing space. It's only used when it's VERY hot and the vent area is in the sun, but it definitely helps the fridge to work better. All were made with a lightweight canvas, Greg designed how he wanted them, we have four...three for windows and one for the fridge. We have sail track over each area, and then they come out from the track, not straight down. Very useful, keeps the inside of the van cooler when it's real hot. Of course we also have the awning and we use shade cloth at the sides and front.

Must take a photo....we promised we'd do that for the lady that made them for us!

Cheers
Greg and Dee
Dot

Post by Dot »

Well if a certain male of that van was out of bed he might just put one up so you could take a pic :lol: :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

We have sail track along right hand side of coaster & have a yacht acrylic fly that fits in same, only tend to use it when very hot & peg it out to the ground.
We also have a similar fly that fits in our Fiamma awning gives us plenty of privacy when camped.
Shirley & Bruce.
Craig

Post by Craig »

GregnDee wrote:Canvas is more durable than shade cloth, and stops more heat coming through...

Shade cloth is lighter, but not much.

That's why we have canvas...

Cheers
Dee
I disagree Dee, I have found shade cloth to be more durable and considerably lighter. even if using the lightweight canvas (which sacrifices some durability) it is still heavier.

Dot,

I had a privacy screen for our awning made up at the RV Warehouse a few years ago and I use it on the other side of the MH where the fridge vents are on the odd occasion that we are parked up with the summer sun beating down on that side. It works a treat and because it is for the awning it is 21 foot long, so it covers a far bit of the MH and helps keep us cool as well. It is see through and allows air flow. I would think canvas would not do this. Also I would think shade cloth would fair better in very windy conditions whereas canvas may act like a big sail and capture the wind and not allow it to pass through. Just my thoughts. ;)

http://www.rvwarehouse.com.au/store/pro ... th-screens_

Craig
Full time on the road in an Alpine 2855
Ros20549

Post by Ros20549 »

Dot we have shade cloth works great much lighter and still allow the fridge to breath. Just make sure you get the 90% one.

Cheers Ros.
Most people spend their healthy years trying to be wealthy, only to spend their wealthy years trying to be healthy....
GregnDee

Post by GregnDee »

We all make different choices to suit our individual needs. Cost also came into it, but we may have been lucky with what we got. It was made to exactly the width and length what we wanted, for four windows, and the lady that made them..well, all I can say is that she can't make much profit! Worked out at less than $50 per shade. And it looks good too!

Unless you put shade cloth in bags, the chances of it snagging on anything solid in your boot is higher than canvas.

We thought about having something right across the side, but decided we wanted more options. The fridge breathes, and the individual awnings block out the sun sufficient that we find we don't need to use the air conditioner as much. We only use them when it gets above 35 degrees.

I doubt the shades we have weigh any more than shade cloth....we have both. A really good option for some would be the shop bought shade cloth, and just have a runner put on the other side of the RV. I think that's what quite a few people have done. We just wanted ours to go out more. They look like mini awnings. On top of that, we can have ours out when it rains heavily, and we can leave the windows open.

Cheers
Greg and Dee
GregnDee

Post by GregnDee »

Let's see some photos!