Name of tyre pressure monitoring system?

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Craig

Re: Name of tyre pressure monitoring system?

Post by Craig »

Craig wrote:
Dot wrote:Thanks David, I shall await his reply, there was someone else as well I remember posting about theirs :? age condition :? G reckons we need one for the bus as to keep taking the trims off to check manually will be a PITA.

How often do you think you will have to check them Dot? I have checked mine twice this year. The last time I had to put about 5 to 10 psi in them.

Craig

I probably should have mentioned that I ussually have 90 psi in them

Craig
Full time on the road in an Alpine 2855
cedtrains

Post by cedtrains »

Craig,
In my opinion they blew out from slackness on my behalf!
Seriously, we use the Coaster for work going to trade shows etc, we tow a trailer as well as loading up the Coaster. Whilst I used to give a glance over the tyres when refuelling etc I think one just got a puncture and slowly went down ( maybe a vibration i felt but didn't act on it sooner ), the other then took the brunt of the weight on its own, very hot coming back from Sydney so nothing in favour of the poor old tyre. Tyres would have been the oldest of the set I suppose but my fault entirely for not being more observant. Pressures were supposed to be checked before I went and mate with tyre shop sent his assistant to crawled around under and check pressures, he seemed none to pleased so maybe did not pay too much attention.
I still pump them up at home with my small compressor and check with the old school cylinder tyre gauge, then reinstall the Tyre Dogs and check what pressure they read, very close if not more exact that my gauge.
Regards
Rob

Craig wrote:Hi Rob,
can you tell me what you think the two tyres that blew out failed from?. Were they overloaded, under inflated, over inflated or how old were they? The last 2 failures I had, failed on a 40 plus degree day and they were about 10 years old. So yes they were probably getting hot but I believe it was more of an age thing that caused the problem.

Craig
Rob and Ruth
"The Road Less Traveled"
95 Coaster LWB
Gold Coast
Craig

Post by Craig »

Thanks Rob,

would you say the tyres were older than 5 or 6 years?
Full time on the road in an Alpine 2855
homeless

Post by homeless »

I once staked a inner rear that was about 4 months old and did not know until I checked my tyres when I stopped.
Not sure what did it but two neat holes through the side wall.
I had no idea where or when it happened and was none the wiser until I did my check when I stopped for the night.
I visually check my tyres before I start a day as well as when I stop. I use a wooden baseball bat (made myself) and a IR thermometer but I still depend on my Tyredog as it will warn me as soon as something starts to happen and it would stop me driving for several hundreds of Kilometers on a flat tyre.
The tyre I lost on the trailer I did not know till it had worn the wheel away to the brake drum. Not sure how long that took but if I had had the Tyredog then I would have save the cost of the Tyredog in that one episode as I needed new hubs,rims,tyres and all brake pads as well I changed the bearings etc whilst at it. The other 1 I lost the whole wheel as the person who put the wheel on when I had work done on the trailer stressed the studs and they sheered off.
My Bus drags the trailer not the other way around so be aware if your tow with a large vehicle you could be dragging a trailer etc running on a rim or worst and you wont know it till either alerted by someone else or you have some means of seeing the towed vehicle.
I recently replaced my two front tyres because they appeared to have gone out of round. It produced a violent wobble all of a sudden and when the front wheels were jacked up they were out of round and also had given away so there was a wobble across the width of the tyres. I think the year date is there for a purpose but you still need to be vigilant as like all thinks they can fail as soon as they are installed.
Regards
Brian
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status