USA's Loos

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Dot

USA's Loos

Post by Dot »

Can anyone tell me what the difference between our flushing and the yanks flushing systems are?? I know their loos are bigger (of course) but their water filling & flushing is different. :? :?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Jim

Re: USA's Loos

Post by Jim »

I found out (in 2000) that they had more water sitting in the loo. Bit too close for my liking when anything was dropped in. Splash!!
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Best I can come up with is self diagnosis.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
homeless

Post by homeless »

Jim is that just plain bragging or are you trying to say something. :evil: :lol:
Regards
Brian
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status
Jim

Post by Jim »

homeless wrote:Jim is that just plain bragging or are you trying to say something. :evil: :lol:
Regards
Brian
I only sit on a loo for one reason - I assume you do the same?
Izabarack

Post by Izabarack »

Dot wrote:Can anyone tell me what the difference between our flushing and the yanks flushing systems are?? I know their loos are bigger (of course) but their water filling & flushing is different. :? :?
Yank loos are bigger because the average American arse is quite large, OK? The pedestals are also braced to handle a much heavier average body. Architects guidelines for elbow room design in toilet cubicles were recently upgraded to accord with the larger average size of the American citizens.

The Yank toots I have had experience of are already full of water when you lift the seat. Great for teaching little boys accurate aiming because you throw in one of those puffed wheat target fish shapes and make a game out of it. Adults who sit, do their best to not wash their backsides as they deliver to the bowl. At the end, the user averts their eyes to the greatest extent possible and flushes. The soup in the bowl disappears and is replaced with a mostly clean recharge of water. A lot harder to leave skid marks on Yank toots but you can if you really try.

One common myth about American toots is that you use them by going forward in then back out. A recent South Park episode addressed the issue of how to use the toot properly. Forward in, back out is Russian style and used by Russian woman who often wear multiple layers of skirts and heavy coats but no underwear. A bit like the Scots and their kilts, no toilet paper is used and no need to wash your hands afterwards.

Why the interest, Dot?

Iza
Dot

Post by Dot »

The instigating conversation that lead to this question is for around the campfire :lol: but the yanks loos seem to miss the "force" of disposal that our loos have!! ;)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
RussellB[SA]

Post by RussellB[SA] »

The yankee loos are a big bowl of water as described, the flushing action is also strange, water jets set up a vortex and eventually flushes, quite strange.

I spent 6 months in good old Texas and thats the only type I came accross.

:D
Russell Barter from South Australia AKA "Death on Wheels"
Mitsubishi Challenger towing a Jurgen 2406 Caravan. Its all about fun with friends travelling our great country.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

The Aust toilet was designed to use much less water, intially for septic systems but also adopted for the sewer system as a water saving device. When the dual flush appeared back in the '80's the toilet had another make over with even less water in the trap and a larger outlet to improve the speed of waste removal.
The story goes that fowler made a study of why the westerner hemisphere toilets didn't work well in Aust and a redesign to create a swirl action was developed. when they attempted to break into the export market it was discovered the swirl needed to be in the opposite direction for use in the southern hemisphere. No idea if there is any truth to the theory though.
Anyone who has listened to Bob Hudson's Newcastle song LP might remember the track about the invention of the urinal :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I've got that LP somewhere, now for the location??? And I am pretty sure we have a turntable somewhere still.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.