Our 1976 Denning Mono.

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Our 1976 Denning Mono.

Post by T1 Terry »

arronbruno wrote:
It has had the roof raised and has 7 feet of headroom with 4 large roof hatches (2 are electrically operated)
I know that now-a-day all these type of large roof hatches generally operate by hydraulic energy. Is it any problem to using here hydraulic energy to operating these type of heavy and large hatches?
It's much easier to run wiring cables than hydraulic hoses and they aren't likely to leak oil at the gland nuts and valves/relays. Pneumatic and airbags is an option for very heavy units though.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
ozfueler

Post by ozfueler »

In our Denning our large roof hatches are electrically operated and are simple and robust.

They have a small 12 volt motor in the roof that turns a shaft (like a worm drive) with a threaded fitting over it, as the shaft turns the fitting moves along the shaft, either raising or lowering the hatch.

We have toggle switches on the powerboard for each hatch that are either in the up or down position, and a small momentary button near the hatch that activates the motor(you can see it near the light) when you push it and stops when you don't. Hope the picture shows this better than I can describe it.

ozfueler
Lorraine and Steve travelling the H.O.A. In a 1976 Denning Mono towing a 1936 Ford coupe street rod or A framing a 1998 Terios.
ozfueler

Post by ozfueler »

I have been a bit slack and forgot to post some more photos of some recent(and not so recent) additions.

We have had the electric awning fitted for over 7 months now and could not be happier with it. It is an electric backyard or patio full cassette awning and is 6 x 3.5 metres. It weighs 100 kilos and is 240 volt operated, and only cost $1320 a huge amount less than a comparable RV awning.

We also have fitted a Vansat automatic satellite dish purchased from Aardvark Electronics in Mackay. It has made life a lot easier and works everywhere for us. Reception is crystal clear and as well as Vast we also have Foxtel, very happy with the unit and the service from Aardvark was fantastic, highly recommend them.

ozfueler
Lorraine and Steve travelling the H.O.A. In a 1976 Denning Mono towing a 1936 Ford coupe street rod or A framing a 1998 Terios.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Steve does that auto sat system keep focus all the time or only focus on initial activation?
I mean once you turn it on and it acquires the direction, if you lifted up the front of thye bus with a forklift & moves it a metre to the left would it auto adjust or would you need to turn off, & turn on again?
I've heard people say the one on the Indian Pacific (Train)auto adjust every second or so to keep the focus at all times.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

ozfueler

Post by ozfueler »

Bruce, I don't know, it goes into fine tuning mode when you fire it up and the picture remains perfect, have heard some have problems with movement in winds but so far this hasn't happened to us.

We never put it up until we are properly settled in to a camp and because of our size don't go moving around much (I mean the bus and yes us too) I'm sure Aardvark could answer your question, we also got a VERY good deal price wise from them.
ozfueler
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

OK, another question.
If you forget to lower it & you start the bus up does it go down like a boy in a cold shower?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Steve, I take it that you run the awning via an inverter, do you know what current it draws. I may be interested in such an awning, who is the supplier?

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
ozfueler

Post by ozfueler »

Bruce, I have it wired so that if I try to start the bus with it still up it goes down.

George, I have 2600 watt inverter and have no idea of what the awning actually draws, it has a remote control and a manual handle that we have never used. It was purchased from the importer in Thomastown in Melbourne, his name is Gerald, he also imports toilet macerators and electric bikes all at very good prices, I have no involvement in his business, just a happy customer. PM me if you would like his mobile number.
ozfueler
Rover All Over

Post by Rover All Over »

Steve What about some photos of the inside, would love to see all the new stuff you have done since we saw you at Boonah, doesn't look like we will be getting across to Narrabri, which is a real bummer.
Chinese saying: If you have 500 friends it is too few, if you have one enemy it is too many.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Go on Steve, show the pic of when you were here, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.