Stuck acccelerator cable

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Dot

Stuck acccelerator cable

Post by Dot »

Q/ you are going along the motorway in your automatic car doing the 100-110kph when your accelerator sticks, what is the safest way to stop??
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Stuck acccelerator cable

Post by BruceS »

It's been a long time since I drove an auto but perhaps turn off the engine (not to lock the steering though!) & use your brakes?
Get ready to use "armstrong" steering though!!
Did it happen to you Dot?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

I would just thro it into neutral then stop the vehicle then attend to the engine.
Brake fully on stick into top gear should stall the engine (maybe).
Bernie.
Wilbor

Post by Wilbor »

I would also try to loosen the throttle cable by putting your foot underneath the pedal, if all else fails use the ejection seat ;)
Rob
Swagman
WILBOR-TOO
Why I Like Being On Road - Too
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Brake hard and turn the ignition off.

Modern cars can easily out brake the engine. Cars for many years now do not lock the steering until the key is actually pulled out of the ignition in the off position.

Trust your God. Whoever survives is barracking for the right God.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Newcastle George

Re: Stuck accelerator cable

Post by Newcastle George »

The solution would depend on whether it's diesel, petrol, manual or automatic.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thanks fellas, no didn't happen to me but someone I know, when she said she had put it in neutral and turned the motor off I nearly died.. To me that would have rendered the car a lose cannon with no steering or next to none and if it went onto the lock position, :o Another person told her she should have put the car into reverse and used the brake :shock: :shock: I would have thought that for a start the sheer shock of the big caboom with the gearbox cacking itself and her wondering WTF then smashing from fear etc.. Me I reckon I would have put it in either neutral and used the brakes , get it into a lower gear again brakes etc as well as trying to lift the accelerator with my foot.. :D Dunno but I don't think I would do the reverse thing :o
Just saw SteveW and George's posts. Thanks I shall pass info on and her car is petrol and auto. :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

I'm afraid today’s engine power ratio to braking capacity, then add an auto, the brakes would be toast and the car would continue to accelerate. I reckon she made the right call. The steering is only heavy when you aren't moving, power steering does little after around 50km/h. there is no way on this earth that selecting reverse was going to make things better. Modern cars wouldn’t allow it anyway, the computer controls that sort of thing, the gear sector is just a request item.
As has already been said, since the HQ Holden, the steering won't lock till you take the key out, so simply turning the engine off was the best call, leaving it in gear as well can't do any harm, you would still get a bit of engine braking. Many cars have electric vacuum pumps these days so engine running or not, the brake assist would fade after a few brake pedal pushes, so the one application would be the best bet on this occasion, even though it would be inviting brake fade due to heat build up.

The fly by wire Toyota had this problem of opening the throttle wide and staying there, no cable to close the throttle again, it’s all done by the computer. Many reports from the US of cars with smoke billowing from the brakes as they ploughed into a busy intersection, still accelerating with few survivors to tell the tale.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
noelesky

Post by noelesky »

Hi
First take the cruise control off :lol:
Second if it was travelling at 110 kmh , it is probally not at full throttle
Third, stomp on the brake pedal as hard as possible
Four, shift to lower gears, just pull the shift lever back
Five, do not go for reverse as it will not go in
Six, if the engine is turned off, no power steer assist. and if brake is pumped no brakes unless you have legs like Arnold
Seven, is your will up to date.
Cheers Noel