name of stick things for transfering dvd's onto

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Dot

name of stick things for transfering dvd's onto

Post by Dot »

What are those doo dackie things called that you transfer all your DVD's onto so you just plug it into your tv and what size would be the best :? (I am not too proud to ask stupid questions)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Re: name of stick things for transfering dvd's onto

Post by Greynomad »

Take your pick, Dottie:

USB stick,
memory stick,
"doo dackie things"...

:D

And size does count! ;)

These days you can buy 16 GigaByte sticks for $16! (Saw them @ Woolies/Safeway Corowa today.)
The 32GB ones run to a shade under $40, so per GB, the 16s are a better buy.
Depending on file size (which depends on the compression program used) you should be able to get up to 8~10 fillums onto one stick. With some programs, you might push that to 12.
I have some 8GB sticks, and with the compression program I use, I can fit 3-7/8ths films (not quite enough space for #4!) on. So using that as a guide, I should be able to fit 7 on a 16GB stick. As some not-so-famous person once said, "That's quite enough 'entertainment' for one night!" :oops: 8-)

As far as brands go, most are reasonably reliable these days. The cheap Chinese $#[t is usually thrown into the box with accessories, not sold in shops. SanDisk is the creme de la creme. Most familiar camera brands also sell USB sticks. They're OK. Even Woolies 'home brand' is "good stuff" re-branded.

Don't buy anything less than 8GB.
The 4GB sticks are generally for music or the latest must-have: dashboard cameras. :D
Last edited by Greynomad on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Thumb drive is another popular term around these parts, as apposed to disc drive, hard drive, solid state hard drive and floppy drive. Memory stick and a stick of memory are too easily confused and one is nothing like the other :lol:
You can put it on the cloud, but a few bits might rain down if the weather turns bad :roll: Now there is the risk of bits and bites and gigs as well as cats and dogs, Henny Penny was right to be worried :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,

I wasn't going to mention thumb drives, in case Dottie started trying to attach G to the 'pooter! :oops:
And I was definitely staying away from mentioning floppy drives for the same reason! :oops: :o
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
generdawg

Post by generdawg »

Greynomad wrote:The 4GB sticks are generally for music or the latest must-have: dashboard cameras. :D
Most dash cams will take at least a 16Gb micro with 32Gb being a popular maximum. I think I heard of one taking 128, but absolutely 64Gb. But by then you have sold off one of the grandkids for perpetual slavery. Oooh, I'll have one of those 64Gb paleeeze. ;)

Greynomad wrote:And I was definitely staying away from mentioning floppy drives
Never ceases to amaze me how willingly people divulge their age here. :lol: Pray tell us more of these so called drives?

dawg
Experience is a wonderful thing. It helps you recognise a mistake when repeated.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote:And I was definitely staying away from mentioning floppy drives
Never ceases to amaze me how willingly people divulge their age here. :lol: Pray tell us more of these so called drives?

dawg[/quote]
Apparently there is a blue tablet that converts a floppy drive to a hard drive, but it doesn't do anything for the size... or so I've heard
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

It is all in the combination of needs, vacuum, injections, blue and cream pills for the floppies, now I am confused, I might see about a thumb :lol: So what I have gleaned from all this is to buy a few 16gb thumbs from maybe Woolies, Hardley Normal and such like
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

I think their called plicks ops sorry wrong thread.
Bernie.
Dot you show me yours or give me your blog.
Get your heads out, I want to see the chairs you have installed in the motorhome.
TA.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Relaxed Miss Meow in transit.jpg
Bernie this is not the best pic of the bus chairs but go to http://www.stressless.com.au as you will see the recliners come in different sizes. There are copies from China as well.
What on earth is a plick and I don't have a blog :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Sorry Dot didn't mean to look at your 'Pussie'.
will check out what you sent.
Bernie.
WOW you don't look half bad sitting on that recliner