Reporting Back on Kindle Fire

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Greynomad

Reporting Back on Kindle Fire

Post by Greynomad »

Hi all,
GOOD NEWS!
I was one of those who helped sell out the Kindle Fire 32GB, not one awaiting the next shipment. :mrgreen:
It arrived on Tuesday (ordered after business hrs Friday before).
I spent a frustrating time trying to set it up the same way I had done with SWMBO's Kindle Touch, but could not get it to show on the desktop as an external hard drive.
Got onto the Kindle Help Forum (great sources of info, these internet fora! :D ) and was advised to use a public WiFi to register it first. Did that @ local Hungry Jaques', then son-and-heir came around to help me set up Internet Sharing on the MacBook Pro. I had clicked Internet Sharing 'on', but there were two other steps (he explained, but I've forgotten) which were required first.
I have now gained access to all the 28 books I had purchased/downloaded onto SWMBO's K-Touch, and acquired a couple more. Some (actually a lot) free, some purchased for the dizzying price of $9.99 or less. Many for $0.99US! Both Kindles were purchased from <Readershop.com.au>, and each came with an Australian-style 240v charger, a 12v charger, an extra USB cable & a DVD with 29,500 FREE eBooks from Project Gutenberg.
I have already downloaded quite a few Henry Lawson volumes from the disc, as well as some others which look interesting.
I have successfully tried internet banking via the Kindle, although I'm still having 'Issues' with G-Mail and accessing this forum... patience... ;)
Note to prospective K-Fire purchasers: It still doesn't show as an external HD. You have to download a utility called Android File Transfer, open it, and load all the files into that. They are then transferred to the (invisible) Kindle wirelessly.
IS ALL GOOD!
Next step: download a part of my music collection.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Reporting Back on Kindle Fire

Post by T1 Terry »

What is the sound quality like Ray? Margaret collects music like some women collect shoes, she has 450 something gig from 1500 plus artists and still going strong. Maybe she could combine her music listening with here reading, possibly with headphones on, we don't share the same taste with some of the ..... stuff :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
Yet to hear results.
Doing my download as I type this.
Checked the K-Fire after copying discs 1-3 of a five-set, but hasn't yet transferred contents to Fire.
I probably have to tell it to do the transfer. Which I will explore after disc 5 is copied across.

By then it will be time to say "Goodnight Dottie" anyway...
:P
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

Goodnight Ray & Joy xx
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Mystery solved.
(No doubt there will be lots more to learn about the Kindle Fire...)
Music files will not load onto Fire unless in MP3 mode!
Currently listening to The Shadows. Have yet to light up Von Karajan & Berlin Philharmonic. (I have very catholic tastes in music. 8-) )
Sound quality from Fire's "Dolby Stereo" speakers is not bad, considering their size. Not at all a 'tinny' sound. Bass guitar has a decent bass tone.
Sounds better than the stereo speakers on our 16" German-brand flat-screen TV!
T1: I guess for personal listening, a good set of headphones will make a big difference... the better the headphone quality, the better the sound. Note: I did not say "price" but "quality". ;)
Therein lies a tale... for another day.

Von Karajan's oboes are clear, violins, violas & cellos likewise. All clearly discernible & no 'fuzzies'. Even at full volume.
I'm happy.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Thanks Ray,
There is only so much good headphones can achieve, unless the base sound quality is good it's still just noise. we had a cheaper brand head unit in the kombi, fed into a stereo amplifier, the sound wsn't too bad, the head unit finally crapped itself so i plugged the headphone output from the laptop into the RCA inputs of the stereo amp, the difference was very noticable, what I thought was speakers past their use by date turned ou to be just a crappy head unit, the new head unit was so much better the added $$ soome fadded from memory.
Now, if the new Kindle Fire has good sound quality I could feed that into the head unit, we would have a music list display as a bonus, then an e book for night time use, sounds like the way to go.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
dapope

Post by dapope »

Can do on my tablet, and its a GPS too!!
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

That's the other option, Margaret wants one of the newest Micrsoft tablets that isn't released until early next year so we will see how that goes doing the job, if I can pry it from her grip of course :lol:
dapope

Post by dapope »

make sure it has the gps stuff!! most important function lol
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Like I need another female to tell me where to go :roll: I want one that combines with Google maps and Google satillite, that way we can zoom around, find good camp spot and plot a driving course there, well that's the theory anyway :lol: