2" Ball

If you are looking for an item please place your request in here!
Dot

2" Ball

Post by Dot »

Has anyone on here got a 2 inch tow ball? (now behave)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: 2" Ball

Post by T1 Terry »

Why can't you use the 50mm ball Dottie? Only a brand new coupling would be too tight for a 50mm ball and you are unlikely to have a brand new 2"coupling these days
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

T1 Terry wrote:Why can't you use the 50mm ball Dottie? Only a brand new coupling would be too tight for a 50mm ball and you are unlikely to have a brand new 2"coupling these days
Tried the 50mm one but too much play. This is for the yank tow hitch to tow the SGV. You can't tighten it up either.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Me thinks you will have to import a ball or change the coupling, I doubt if any 2"balls would still be in good enough condition to use now unless they had been wrapped in grease cloth.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Jon and Kay

Post by Jon and Kay »

I bought a trailer from the States several years ago, fitted to a 50mm ball no problem. The coupling is a better and safer fitting IMHO, although said to be illegal here. It is also welded, not bolted which is illegal here. A guy in NSW who imported boat trailers removed them so the trailers could be registered. (2 inches = 50.8 mm, no significant difference)
Jon
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

I. Think u need 1/7.8 inch ok
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Dot does it START to go over the ball?
Are you sure that it hasn't got a "slack adjuster" that's screwed in too far?
Can you describe exactly why/where it gets tight?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Jon and Kay

Post by Jon and Kay »

It's the other way Bruce...50mm is .8mm too small. :)
Jon
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

In that case it may just be a warn locking pin.
They can be built up as there is really no weight on them other than preventing the hitch "jumping off".
The very old type had the threaded bolt to tighten up the piece that fitted under the ball lip.
Now I feel old...........
George should be able to feel any wear? May be something preventing it from dropping down far enough?
Seeing it might provide an answer
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Jon and Kay

Post by Jon and Kay »

trailer coupler.jpg
From a USA blog.
The correct equipment is at the heart of the matter. The hitch ball on the two unit must not only be the correct physical size to match the trailer hitch, but needs to be able to tote the weight of the trailer. There are three different sizes of hitch balls, 1 7/8", 2", and 2 5/16".

The smallest might be found on a lightweight pop-up trailer; the 2" are typically used on mid-sized trailers, and the largest--well, sure enough, on large trailers. The large size hitch balls have different weight capacities, and you need to be sure the capacity of the ball is greater than the total weight of your loaded trailer. You MUST match the size of the hitch ball on your tow rig to the size required by the coupler. Go with too small a hitch ball is to invite a disaster.

Hitch balls attach to the tow vehicle with a nut and lock washer. The larger the ball, the greater the torque required for a safe attachment. The hitch ball mounts through a drawbar and the thickness of the drawbar determines how long the shank, or threaded portion of the hitchball, needs to be. Rule of thumb: At least one thread should be visible beneath the lockwasher and nut when the ball in installed in the drawbar.

When installing a hitchball the philosophy of "just throw a wrench on it and tug" isn't a safe one. If in doubt, have a hitch shop attach your tow ball. Trailer couplers need to be kept lubricated with grease. We prefer lithium grease, and we keep our hitch ball greased and we cover it with a ball cover when not in use.
There you go.....you need a 2 inch ball.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jon