Using your pets diet to control parasite infestation

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

Using your pets diet to control parasite infestation

Post by Dot »

Natural parasite control is one of the most common topics I am asked about as a practicing vet. There are a lot of medications on the market aimed at parasite control, but often it is simply a good diet that keeps parasites in control.

Building a strong immune system through diet

The number one goal in managing all parasites is to keep your pet in the very best health, with a strong immune system to fight off invading parasites.

I have found a natural balanced raw meat diet is the most effective way to prevent parasite infestation and to optimise your pet’s health. Studies dating back to the 1950s have demonstrated cats fed on raw meat had significantly fewer gastrointestinal worms and fleas than the cats fed on cooked food.

Is your pet at risk of attack?

Parasites tend to attack animals with weak immune systems and are much less likely to be found in strong, healthy animals.

It is important to remember that dogs and cats have their own natural defences against parasites, so finding a small number of parasites on your pet is no cause to worry. In fact, studies have found that having a small parasite burden can actually reduce the symptoms of allergies, while having no parasites can make an allergy worse.

Parasite prevention through medicine…

.When it comes to worming and medicated parasite control, I recommend only doing so as required when your pet has worms.

While worm tables advise usage every six to 12 weeks, in my experience, this is unnecessary and I recommend worming your pets about once every six to 12 months, based on lifestyle and diet.

Similarly, I recommend flea control only in cases where fleas are present, not as a 12 month program. If fleas are an issue, I prefer to use a product that just treats fleas, and not one that kills all parasites.

Other natural methods of parasite control

Adding dried garlic to your pet food has also been found to prevent parasites, but please note that large amounts of raw garlic can be detrimental to pets. I advise using dried garlic in a very low dose – 2.5g per 1kg of food.

When treating worms, I find a herbal extract of cloves, wormwood and black walnut (available from health food shops as 'Triplex') to be quite effective. My recommendation is two doses of 1ml per 10kg bodyweight, the second dose to be administered seven days after the initial treatment.

For topical fleas, neem oil can work quite well, as can natural pyrethrum rinses. Be careful using anything topically on cats, as they can be more sensitive and have a habit of licking it off their coats!
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
freechange

Re: Using your pets diet to control parasite infestation

Post by freechange »

I think most overdo the chemical fixes due to the marketing. Those toxic tick collars cannot be good for the animal, or us.

What's the most practical raw meat diet for a small mutt. Am I killing him with the kibble. He gets a rib bone 3 times a week.
John

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
Dot

Re: Using your pets diet to control parasite infestation

Post by Dot »

Hi John & mutt :D , The info I use here is from a vet but not too sure on putting his name here so I shall send you a pm with the name of his product. I have been using his products for years now and I can only say they are very good.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.