Broth is good for dogs,-Make no bones about it

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

Broth is good for dogs,-Make no bones about it

Post by Dot »

Dot

.Broth is good for dogs – make no bones about it!

Bone broth is increasingly in the headlines in the context of human nutrition, but did you know it can be hugely beneficial for our canine friends as well?

Cheap and easy to make, bone broth is basically a nutrient-packed liquid stock. Made by slow-simmering bones in a pot of water, it contains an array of vitamins, minerals and amino acids perfectly combined to support canine health.

Feed it to your dog the day after a fast day, use it as a supplement by pouring it over their regular feed, or offer it to an unwell or recuperating pet as a multivitamin source to help heal or build strength.

Here’s why you should consider feeding your pet bone broth…

For joints:
Bone broth is packed with glycosaminoglycans including glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate – collagens that help promote the health of the tendons, ligaments, cartilage and bones that make up your pet’s joints. The glycosaminoglycans are absorbed, undigested, and stimulate fibroblasts that furnish joints, tendons and ligaments with collagen that protects them.

For gut health:
Bone broth contains a healthy dose of gelatin which can help to protect your pet’s stomach lining, helping to prevent or address food allergies and gut sensitivity.

For sick dogs:
If your dog has a gastric illness and you’re struggling to coax him to eat, or he’s recovering and needs a nutrition boost, bone broth provides a mineral, gelatin and glycine-rich source of immune and digestion-boosting nutrients.

(I shall be putting the recipe up in a few days)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Keith Morris

Re: Broth is good for dogs,-Make no bones about it

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here---I told "Russell" about this and he is waiting for the recipe. I might even give it a go myself.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Howdy Russell, be a little more patient and I shall have the recipe to you soon :) x
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Dot

Post by Dot »

As promised, my recipe for bone broth....from Dr Bruce S

Feed it to your dog the day after a fast day, use it as a supplement by pouring it over their regular feed, or offer it to an unwell or recuperating pet as a multivitamin source to help heal or build strength.

Ingredients:
Kangaroo tail, kale, oregano, parsley, zucchini, yellow squash, dry minced garlic*, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (the acid in the vinegar or lemon juice helps bring the goodness out of the bones).

Method:
- Put ingredients in crockpot, cover with water and add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Simmer ingredients gently for 20-24 hours.
- Allow to cool.
- Remove all bones from the broth - use a strainer if necessary.
- Pour into single-serving size storage containers and freeze.
- Defrost and serve as required.
* Dried garlic in small amounts provides additional immune system support. In the Bone Broth, I recommend 1/4 teaspoon of minced dry garlic, which is a very safe, and beneficial, amount for dogs and cats. If you're uncomfortable giving your dog garlic, eliminate this ingredient.

>> Alternate Ingredients I Use in Bone Broth for Dogs
- Beef soup bones, marrow bones and chuck roast (optional)
- Chicken breast, thighs, and drumsticks.
- Pork ribs, neck bones.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Going away, Dot? All those instant meals in the freezer for George!
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Dot

Post by Dot »

ha ha yep. Make sure you pass the recipe onto Bron won't you?
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I've just become a vegetarian!
Steve Williams

SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Anyway, I thought you went to bed half an hour ago.
Steve Williams