3 foods never feed your pet

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

3 foods never feed your pet

Post by Dot »

Can you list the foods your pets should NEVER eat?

When it comes to our dogs it is a well-know fact that they love food! We have all experienced the moment when our pets want to share the food off our plates and give us those puppy-dog eyes. But it’s important not to give into temptation because there are human foods that animals should never consume.

Below are three foods that are highly toxic to canines. Ensure that you keep the foods on the fatal list away from our curious creatures and inform your guests, especially children, to always ask if they can feed your pet.

If you have any doubt that your dog has consumed any of these foods please urgently seek veterinary assistance.

.Onions
Onions contain thiosulphate, which is highly poisonous to dogs and causes hemolytic anemia and it’s the destruction of red blood cells.
Raw Onions are particular extra toxic including their close relatives shallots
Watch out for the common symptoms of hemolytic anemia include weakness, vomiting, blood in urine and breathlessness. In severe cases a blood transfusion may be needed.

Important: Garlic also contains thiosulphate, albeit in much smaller quantities therefore a very large amount would need to be ingested to cause an adverse affect.

Xylitol

Xylitol is type of artificial sweetener commonly found in sugar-free chewing gum and baked goods.

Ingesting xylitol can stimulate the pancreas to secrete insulin, causing a rapid drop in blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) and in large amounts can cause fatal liver damage.

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include disorientation and seizures, which can occur within 30 minutes of consumption.

Caffeine

The usual suspects are (coffee, tea and soft drinks), but caffeine can also be found in some medications.

Dogs are more sensitive than humans to the effects of caffeine and ingestion of a moderate amount (such as coffee grounds) can cause damage to the heart, lungs, kidneys and central nervous system.

Symptoms of caffeine poisoning include hyperactivity, vomiting, staggering gait, muscle tremors and convulsions.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
supersparky

Re: 3 foods never feed your pet

Post by supersparky »

Dot, Should chocolate also be high up on this list of things NOT to feed your best mate. I reckon onions are also coming off my list of things to eat as well. I think that they give me nocturnal leg cramps.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Dot

Post by Dot »

David I think Dr Bruce meant foods like we have at tea time and BBQ's and yes Chocolate is a no no for our furbabies :) along with any cooked bones. Onions giving you leg cramps, might be you are lacking magnesium, Onions make me a twin to Chuck. :) :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

I just read this out to Trina...

She laughed then said "So embarrassing being married to you !"

Thanks Dot! Image Image Image
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Just goes to show how smart your beautiful 12 wife is :) x
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Dot wrote:David I think Dr Bruce meant foods like we have at tea time and BBQ's and yes Chocolate is a no no for our furbabies :) along with any cooked bones. Onions giving you leg cramps, might be you are lacking magnesium, Onions make me a twin to Chuck. :) :)
Dot, It doesn't matter how much magnesium I take. Oh, and if you have too much you will give yourself IBS. That was a fun time, not. Something to do with sulphites I think.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Never, ever feed your dog the neighbours budgie.
Not only does the dog get sick, the side effect for the owner can be various too.