Tackling Obesity in pets

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

Tackling Obesity in pets

Post by Dot »

Tackling obesity in pets

Do you know that recent studies have shown that more than 60 percent of Australian domestic pets are considered overweight?

The answer to today’s pet health issues comes from common sense feeding and exercise. Simple things like feeding your pet just once a day, in the morning, and feeding a natural, balanced fresh meat diet that includes portions of fresh meat, bones and vegetable matter, will go a long way to improving your pet’s overall health and longevity.

My experience, gained over 25 years as a practicing vet, has demonstrated to me that dogs and cats fed on a balanced fresh meat diet will enjoy infinitely superior health and are far less likely to develop degenerative diseases than those raised exclusively on processed pet foods.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dog Treats - The Human Equivalent

The most common cause of weight issues and obesity in pets is overfeeding. Skipping highly processed treats is an effective way to help your furry friend shed those unnecessary kilos.

For a 4.5kg dog, 1 dog biscuit = 2 glazed donuts

For a 9kg dog, 1 chew treat= 1 hot fudge sundae

For an 18kg dog, 1 pig’s ear= 6 x 375ml cans of cola

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr Bruce’s Weight Loss Tips

1. Avoid treats and sharing ‘people food’ with your pet – these are all extra calories that pets don’t need- and only feed once a day in the morning so your pet can work off their meal during the day.

2. A natural diet base of fresh meat, free of anything artificial ensures your dog or cat feels more “full” (satiated) and is lower in calories. Kangaroo meat is great for weight loss due to its low fat and high protein content.

3. Ensure extra daily exercise and your local vet can give can assist with this tip. Weigh your pet each week or so to make sure the scales are going in the right direction.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
supersparky

Re: Tackling Obesity in pets

Post by supersparky »

Bandit said to ask if you think his bum looks too big? This is the position he assumes for a greater part of his day. The other one is standing at the fence and barking at anything that invades his space. He thinks his space is anything that he can see through the fence.
Bandit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
dapope

Post by dapope »

We have been trying to fatten ours up a bit...constant supply of dry food, and a tin of food at night.
Should I try opening the tin?
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
Jon and Kay

Post by Jon and Kay »

Made fish and chips tonight, just some boiling potatoes and NQ Baramundi.

Took the skin off the fish, fried it and fed it to Lady...she nearly took my fingers off getting to it...

Then I made Dagwood Chips....deep fried fresh potato chips....batter on one end...deep fried. She loves dagwood chips. So do we. Can we get the RV door widened?

The batter was a beer batter..stayed crisp for ages. Lady had the leftovers.

Should I stop Lady eating it so there is more for us???
Jon
Dot

Post by Dot »

No Bandit you are just beautiful the way you are. :)
Jon if it was me I would be keeping those chips all to myself= bugger the dog :) (and that is why I am a chubby chick) :) and yes you can get a bigger door for your MH.
Mr Sniffy, ask your dad to get some "Black Hawk" dog food or "vets all natural" as you are able to get the best roo meat in oz in WA (Geraldton)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.