5 Natural Home Remedies for your pet

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

5 Natural Home Remedies for your pet

Post by Dot »

.Natural home remedies for minor pet ailments can help soothe your pet and may save you a trip to the Vet. These suggested home remedy ingredients are easy to buy at your supermarket or health food store, if they are not in your cupboard already!

Please Note: These home remedy hints are designed to treat minor pet ailments only. If in doubt about the severity of the problem, please always seek professional veterinary advice.

Chamomile
Chamomile is a great soothing agent for sore, irritated skin. Cold chamomile tea is also a safe eyewash for pet eye complaints such as conjunctivitis.
Cooled chamomile tea can be sprayed from a clean spray bottle for easy application.

When it comes to caring for your pet’s eyes, you must be sure that there is nothing more seriously wrong with the eye, like an ulcer or foreign body. If the eye is still sore after a few hours, please seek veterinary attention.

Neem Oil
For the topical treatment of fleas, Neem Oil can be quite effective.
Where fleas are a problem, I also recommend using a pet shampoo containing Neem oil and washing your dog every week or two.

Tip: A natural diet of balanced fresh meat and vegetable matter is the best way to optimise your pet’s health, and to minimise worms and fleas.

Rose Geranium Essential Oil
If you live in a tick prone area it is very important to have a prevention protocol in place, which includes daily grooming and checking for ticks.

Rose Geranium essential oil can serve as a successful tick repellent, just add a few dabs to your dog’s collar and on the base of their tail before heading outside.

I would not recommend this for cats as they can be more sensitive to topical treatments and will lick a lot more off their coats.

Aloe Vera & Honey
Pure aloe vera jelly will speed up the healing for all sorts of cuts and skin injuries sustained by your pet. Combine it with manuka honey to make a fantastic healing gel for large wounds with both antibiotic and poultice like properties. Aloe vera juice is also a potent laxative and can aid with constipation.

Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a powerful natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent.

It can be used on skin lesions on your pet and a drop or two can be applied in ear canals. But remember to avoid using it where an animal can lick it off (especially with cats). If in doubt about what quantity to use, dilute it with water to about 25%.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
supersparky

Re: 5 Natural Home Remedies for your pet

Post by supersparky »

A few years back, I was travelling through country NSW and a vet was on the radio. Someone rang in and asked about flea protection, the next caller was a greyhound trainer and he said he used Confidor for flea and tick control on all his dogs and had done so for years. The part that alarmed me was that he said to get it from the plant section of any of the big hardware stores or nursery. I didn't know what it was and asked a few farmer mates what they used? Same answer. So now after every time Mr B goes for a swim he gets a bit poured on the back of his neck. Doesn't get fleas and up until now, has never had a tick either.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.