Healthy Pets make Healthy People

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

Healthy Pets make Healthy People

Post by Dot »

.There are significant benefits to owning a pet. Pet ownership provides companionship and dogs in particular are great conversation-starters, introducing owners to one another and providing common ground for conversation.

Motivating you to take up and maintain a regular exercise routine is just one of the health benefits that pets, specifically dogs, bring to Aussie pet owners.

Pet ownership has also been shown to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, reducing pet owners' risk of cardiovascular disease. If you have a friend with feathers, fur or fins in your life, you will have to visit the doctor less often than the average Australian and you'll need to use fewer medications.

Children who grow up with pets during infancy have stronger immune systems and reduced incidence of asthma-related allergies and are less likely to miss school through illness.

And research has shown that teenagers who own pets are more positive about life, less lonely, restless and bored. In fact, pet owners in general are less likely to suffer from depression and appear to cope with grief better than non-pet owners.

Studies even suggest that simply looking at animals, for example watching fish swimming around a tank, can reduce anxiety and induce relaxation in stressful times.

It is, however, important to consider your circumstances and do some careful research before acquiring a pet. Perhaps consider pet adoption to help stem the tide of 250,000 'unwanted' dogs in Australia each year.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
GregnDee

Re: Healthy Pets make Healthy People

Post by GregnDee »

I sure agree with that! Just had some tests and I'm healthier than I've been for ages - walk the dogs almost every morning - about 4 kms most days, and lots of cuddles of course.
Cheers
Dee xx
Dot

Post by Dot »

Come on Dee tell us all what you have been up too all this time you have been quiet x
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Dot wrote:If you have a friend with feathers, fur or fins in your life, you will have to visit the doctor less often than the average Australian and you'll need to use fewer medications.
HMMMmmm...
Didn't work that way for me, Dottie!
Owned dogs as a kid, then adopted a lost Bluey (called him 'Phredde'! ;) ) when 18 & working up-country NSW. When I moved to Melb then met SWMBO I joined a family of 3 (2 furry persons)! Had hounds ever since.
So that's my 'aminal' history...
Now the bad news:
In 1994 I was diagnosed with cancer.

So for the past 22 years I have not exactly conformed to your 'fewer visits to the Dr' and 'fewer medications' theory. :(

However, I agree that blood pressure gains & relaxation is a desirable byproduct... even when they're exasperating, they're fun. ;) :?
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
mottleemob

Post by mottleemob »

I don't know about less visits to the doctor but if I come home from work with the shites they soon disappear when I see my little fur ball
cheers Phil
:mrgreen:
Phil,Ann and Mia the spoilt dog
Wanna be grey nomads from SA
Its a Jayco and we love it And another Jeep
R I P Bonnie
Dot

Post by Dot »

But Ray remember you were not supposed to be here going by the medics so the fur babies have done their bit :) :)
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

OK Dottie,
Ya got me on that one...

Furry Persons... in full "Guard Dog" alert!
:D
Guard Dogs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields