Good evening from Rossp at Wardell NSW

Please introduce yourself here. Tell us a little about yourself but, please, no long conversations here.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Good evening from Rossp at Wardell NSW

Post by T1 Terry »

I have 12 and 24 voltage requirements for lighting, radio, GPS, electric stairs, and a few other things and was considering
an additional deep cycle 12 volt battery charged by a 12 volt alternator added to the engine.

Is this practical, or is there a better way.
Sorry Ross, missed that part in your opening thread. Agree 100% with John, a 24 to 12v DC to DC charger is a far better idea than a 12v alternator. This also gives you the flexibility to later change to a different battery chemistry if you decide to go that way as a DC to DC charger is much easier to control than a second alternator. My advice would be 12v house and 24v truck and power anything 12v in the dash from the house batteries, far less complication and potential failure points that way.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
JohnM

Re: Good evening from Rossp at Wardell NSW

Post by JohnM »

T1
Hi Terry, I guessed you had missed that bit about the alternator. When I altered the house back to 12 v I was left with a 24 to 12v converter, I chose to run the dash from the ignition through the transformer, with the exception of the radio which is run from the house, works better for me this way.

Ross, don't worry too much about getting any thing wrong, I don't know of any one who has built, or converted a motor home, who has not at some time in the future, wished he had done something different, or put some thing else in, after the first shake down run, you will decide to live with it or change/alter, what ever, unless it is the other half that decides that she doesn't like it there, regardless of how much consultation went into the design and placement, you will just have to work out how to modify it. Happy wife happy life!
Life is a trip, to be enjoyed!
John M