Good evening from Rossp at Wardell NSW

Please introduce yourself here. Tell us a little about yourself but, please, no long conversations here.
Rossp

Good evening from Rossp at Wardell NSW

Post by Rossp »

I joined this forum crew a couple of months ago for a look and see what it was like, and I think it is great.

Had a couple of serious health issues 5 and 6 years ago, and getting ready for the second surgery, my surgeon suggested I should de-stress my life in an attempt to live longer....He did mention possibility of fatal in six months!

So, got out of running a business I had been in for just over 20 years.

As health improved, decided NOW was the time to start on the motorhome I had been thinking of for 10 years.

Sourced an Isuzu NQR450 (pre computor controlled engine) and got going.

Consulted local RMS approved Structural Engineer with my ideas re truck mods (1metre in the chassis to increase the wheelbase and 600 behind the axle) and got into it.

Well not straight away as I had to build a suitable shed for the project first.

Put lots of time into the design of the motorhome, and am really pleased with the result.

Walls and roof are Styromax foam sandwich panels (made in Brisbane) and below floor level, have bins full length of both sides, with around 500 litres of general water and a separate 100 litre tank for drinking, in the bins, as well a roll out barbeque. Black and grey tanks are down there too.

Was always going to install reverse cycle air cond, and left a space in one bin for this, and Mr Aldi had inverter units on this week, so that has to go in now.

Just about finished the inside, just tidying up the plumbing and electrical, but have a question on the electrical side.

I have 12 and 24 voltage requirements for lighting, radio, GPS, electric stairs, and a few other things and was considering
an additional deep cycle 12 volt battery charged by a 12 volt alternator added to the engine.

Is this practical, or is there a better way.

I have learned from this forum, I should fill the roof with solar panels and will have five 200 watt panels, and will soon need to talk with someone about the LiFepo4 battery system, and I believe the is someone on here who can help.

We intend heading off early next year for 2 to 5 years and look forward to meeeting some of you folk out there on the road.

All the best

Rossp
Dot

Re: Good evening from Rossp at Wardell NSW

Post by Dot »

Hi and welcome Rossp, we love pics of peoples rigs so if you want to show us yours you can then see ours. Your health will improve once you do the great escape thing and leave your stress and worries behind.. The lith man shall be along soon so be warned :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Welcome and as Dot said show us some pictures.
And where are you situated .
BernieQ .
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Hi Ross and a welcome to the forum from both Wendy & myself as well.
If you do happen to be traveling down Mannum way, I suggest a couple of days looking & chatting with Terry (& others!) in Mannum would be a good idea.
If you pop into your "control panel" you can add a little info that helps people know where you are located.
Click on this link for the control panel.... ucp.php
At present I think demand for these new battery cells has created a severe shortage so the quicker you get a quote/order in the better.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Welcome to the forum Ross. I just secured some more lithium cells that should arrive early next week. We are booked out till March though so part of your shake down trip might need to be Mannum SA and meet up with a few members that have moved this way while you are here.
We are trying to secure a more permanent supply direct from the manufacturer so these shortages don't occur again, but at the moment it really is first in best dress or some saying like that.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
dream4red

Post by dream4red »

Hi Ross,
Welcome to the friendliest phunny pharm around. The boys are always harping on about fancy batteries, they must know something that I don't. As long as I can toast the toast, run the jug and air con at the same time it must be ok. Might have something to do with only using powered sites too. But you will find they are a pretty friendly and helpful bunch.
Happy travels.
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
bob r

Post by bob r »

Welcome Ross hope to see you join in on the conversations, we used to go the CP in Wardell enjoyed it there.

Bob
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Hi Ross Welcome to the forum,
You ask what is considered the best way to charge your 12v house batteries, and the more you ask the more different answers you will get!
There has been some concern as to the actual ability of a car alternator to fully charge lead acid type Batteries, with the different regimes required by modern batteries, I considered the better option is a DC to DC charger running off the 24v battery and the standard 24v alternator, switched on and off from the ignition.
These are available from various manufactures, I personally lean toward Redarc being an Australian manufacturer, I use a BCDC 1220, as these are able to accept an input of up to 30v DC, there are different makes and models models available.
I also have two 12v 50w solar panels, in series running to a 24v solar regulator which maintains my 24v starter batteries when we are parked up, for any length of time. I also run my dash board electronics, GPS etc through a 12v to 24v converter, switched from the ignition.
There are also various brands that offer a model that will also work as a solar controller, personally I am not a fan of using one unit to perform multiple tasks, my choice is separate units, that way you have some degree of redundancy control if some thing packs up.
I have found that though there is some conflict between different chargers ie. DCDC charger and solar charger, it doesn't really make a lot of difference when you need it, my solar can, and does produce, 30a+, the BCDC produces 20a I have often seen 50a input when we first take off, receiving power from both solar and motor.
I hope this helps in some way.
Life is a trip, to be enjoyed!
John M
Rossp

Post by Rossp »

Good morning and thank you all for your welcoming words, and particularly JohnM for the technical stuff.

I will get some photos organised and posted in the near future.

I have spent lots of time on things that I thought were important, so the photos will give you a chance to tell me i got it wrong.

Oh well!!!

Regards

RossP
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Rossp wrote:
We intend heading off early next year for 2 to 5 years and look forward to meeeting some of you folk out there on the road.

Rossp
Hi Ross, and welcome.
Speaking from experience, 5 years is not long enough for a Big Lap.
In our 3 years on the road, we met a bloke at Happy Hour who was on his third lap.
He told us, "On our first lap, we took two years. On the second, we took five years.
This time,we're not going to hurry."

I think he had the right attitude.
;) :D
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields