Doooottttttttt, where are you???

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
GoinBush

Re: Doooottttttttt, where are you???

Post by GoinBush »

0418 897 721 Theo Vanluen. Has done a lot of work for BIL, he owns trucks.

Like this one, had a ride in it once :D
IMG_0021.JPG

Info for those who are into all the details....
A Western Star Constellation 4964EX.
The Cummins `Signature' diesel (650hp and 2250 lb/ft torque) was selected for its power, giving higher speeds on long runs. The gearbox is an Eaton RTLO 22918B, 18-speed, driving into Meritor RT-52 axles with 4.56:1 diff's with diff' locks. Rear suspension is AD252-10 air ride by Neway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GoinBush on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Also google truck mechanics in Alice Springs there's a hand full there Dot .
The truck museum on the left before you get into Alice surely there would be some info there, they rebuild trucks or could point you in the right direction .
Bernie .
Dot

Post by Dot »

GoinBush wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:59 pm Will text the BIL and see who he suggests Dot.
Thanks for that info , where abouts would Theo be? Thinking now the gearbox might have to come out???? :shock: bloody Chinamen... The caravan park here is ummmm ok no water supplied, you have to go to a water bowser just like a fuel bowser :lol: :lol: Time to go walkabout :roll: to the shops, hope there are no poor puppies hanging around the shops looking longingly for a loving home. The sat dish part won't be here until ?Thursday but I can watch the boys on bikes on the normal tv. Poor Richie Porte , what a hard fall :cry:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Dot it is important to work out if it is the clutch or the gearbox.
When you couldn't get it out of 6th gear, did the clutch still feel the same?
Bit of free travel & then a bit of pressure right to the floor?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Dot

Post by Dot »

Bruce when it stuck in 6th gear there was NO clutch at all straight to the floor, but with all the other gears the clutch was as normal. Could it be a bearing from the 6 gear? Would there be any debris is the gearbox plug (the one with the magnet in it?) I know Alice S will be so much more expensive but it is better than putting bus on a truck and back to Adelaide and then to Whom??
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Clutch I'd reckon.
Traveling for some length of time it loses "prime".
I reckon Terry said it is air assisted over fluid?
Have you tried slipping it out of gear without touching the clutch? Better than stalling the motor in a high gear without it cooling down.
Might need a little 'flick' on the accelerator as you slip it out.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Hi Dot,

I'm back on air.... not to sure what happened to the forum.

Can you describe the full symtems;

Also, one assumes the clutch is not slipping. That's good news.

Can you check the fluid in the clutch hydrualics?

An please reply to the questions, espicially taking photos with the clutch pedal pressed....

It might be something as simple as a stuffed/leaky hydraulic slave cylinder. (look for hyd' oil at the pedal or gearbox)
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

+1, not many ways the clutch pedal can go to the floor by itself if it is the air assisted hydraulic type.
Check for fluid leaks or hose / pipe damage. The gearbox might be OK
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Wayne I think she meant "when I went to use the clutch, it went straight to the floor"?
It wasn't already down on the floor.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Have driven trucks with air assisted clutches and what you describe Dot, is typical fault. I'd be looking for an air leak first, then maybe a valve that when it heats up, fails to operate or leaks. Then when it cools and the pressure is released, it works again.

A DAF B double I was driving a few years ago lost air through a dicky valve as was changing down gears and had nothing, no brakes or clutch. A bit hair raising as was going down hill, luckily there was no one in front of me or they would have been annihilated but it all turned out good and was able to come to a stop. Hit the clutch valve with a hammer and of I went slowly to the next town, where has to wait 3 days for a new valve to arrive. Never drove that truck again, or anything with an air clutch again, especially if they also have air brakes.