Beach or bush?

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
Shirley

Re: Beach or bush?

Post by Shirley »

Bernie, Bruce & his brother use to do the same with a two man net & yes heaps of prawns, those were the days👍👍

Helen old age you're correct is the Tacoma co op., did you know Dave Crouch? He was a fisherman & lived on the Cnr., he would be in his seventies now.
Shirley & Bruce.
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

The thing with Tuggerah was you didn't even need a boat. We just walked it out to about shoulder high, along a bit and back in.
I don't know what it's like these days, but there used to be just a deep channel in the middle, so you could walk out quite a way.

I have to say though that I was more interested in the beaches those days, surfing and cycling was my life back then.
We would choose what beach by the weather, if dad wouldn't take us I would bike it and body surf instead.
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Born near the beaches in the Wollongong area but also even closer to the bush at the edges of Mt Keira, so both hold great memories. I love the cost for the slightly more even temps but hate the humidity. Love the bush for the wild life and peace, but a long way between the interesting bits where the farms have removed the trees in place of pasture land and most of that is not much more than dead grass or bare dirt, at least the coast has bush between the beaches and towns. Well and truly over cities at the moment so small towns by the river or beach or just a spot to camp near either suits us just fine.
As far as prawning in the lake. Lake Illawarra was great for scoop net fishing, not near as good now since the lake was opened to the ocean as well as the loss of the coal fired power station allowed the lake to cool and that reduced the fish and prawn breeding, but at least the lake is starting to clean up now the garbage from the coal fired station power is gone, the new gas fired one is much cleaner.
Just as a side note, a great spot to park up for a day or two in the parking area near the new Tallawarra power station, right on the lake shores, boat ramp as well and the fishing can be good at times.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
dream4red

Post by dream4red »

Shirley, I agree with you on the shark sightings in Lake Mac. I grew up in Belmont and my parents lived there until the 1980s, only one shark ever seen in their bay. We have been here for 12 years and have yet to actually see one, but we have a friend who takes his surf ski from in front of our place across to Morisset and back every morning. He has had to stop going across the bay until much later in the morning because the sharks were following him on a daily basis. He reckons that by 9am he is safer to paddle across, because it is past the shark feeding times. I didn't know that sharks could read the time!!!! :oops: :lol:
We also have seen some amazing sea critters since moving here. I still find the most amazing is the coral that is growing under Swansea bridge. It is easily seen from the shore, when you wander the pathway from in front of the RSL under the bridge on a clear sunny day.
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life