Hi from Kate and Aaron at Gemtree

Please introduce yourself here. Tell us a little about yourself but, please, no long conversations here.
Gemtree

Hi from Kate and Aaron at Gemtree

Post by Gemtree »

Hi everyone,

My husband Aaron and I have just taken over Gemtree Caravan Park, 140km NE of Alice Springs. We have worked here for my parents on and off for the last 6 years, but they have now retired and we are in the driving seat. We have three little boys. Our youngest, Tom (7) and Mac (4) do School of the Air here at Gemtree. Our oldest son, Will (12) has multiple disabilities, and he boards in Alice Springs during the week to attend the special school. He comes home to us on weekends and school holidays.

I am finding it so interesting reading through the different forums and posts and I really do feel for everyone travelling on tighter and tighter budgets each year. We SHOULD all be able to travel this beautiful country of ours, and I have been closely following Queensland debates about free roadside camping.

If I was travelling, I would want to be able to pull up for free as often as possible. With my pastoral background, I will just remind travellers in the outback to please not camp at bores on cattle stations. It is a common problem along the Plenty Highway - when a caravan is at a bore the cattle won't drink. They have a lot of land to cover each day to get back out to where the grass is and they need their evening and morning drinks to cope. I suppose that is a little self explanatory, but you would be surprised how many people do stop at the bores along our highway. We don't have cattle here though, we just have tourists!

My final thinking is this - when there is a free spot, use it! With the money you save, budget to explore some of the more genuine 'real deal' caravan parks out there. They are offering memories and experiences that you will dine on for years to come, and small businesses like our own really go out of their way to make you welcome and give you plenty of bang for your buck. Do your homework on forums such as this before you travel and you will soon see which parks are worth the paid site. Because we have just recently taken over the management I have been 'googling' Gemtree, to see what it is that our guests want and don't want, and to see just how we can make their Red Centre adventure the very best it can be. I think when we all understand that caravanners are here to see as much as they can and to fill their life with memories and unique experiences, and that caravan park owners are here to help provide that for you, you will then be able to budget accordingly and use your freedom of choice to visit the parks that you want to. Don't bypass ALL parks because I worry that you will miss out and sell your adventure short. Perhaps we will meet some day! Safe travelling everyone, and Happy New Year to you all. Kate xo
Kate & Aaron McMaster
Gemtree Caravan Park
www.gemtree.com.au
08 8956 9855
Dot

Re: Hi from Kate and Aaron at Gemtree

Post by Dot »

Hi Kate, thank you for posting your very interesting post here for our members to see. Hope you pop in here every now and again to give us up dates on your new adventure.. Good luck.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Ros20549

Post by Ros20549 »

Hi Kate & Aaron.... Love your park we had a lot of fun a couple of years back plan on heading that way again this year..

Cheers Ros.
Most people spend their healthy years trying to be wealthy, only to spend their wealthy years trying to be healthy....
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Hi Kate & Aaron, welcome to the forum. If ever we get this bus finished and hit the road we will call in and say hello when we pass through your area, hope the dream of running your own park brings you all you had hoped for and more.

T1 Terry & Margaret
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Bing!
Bing!
I love it when these paid adverts pop in!!!
....... Just joking Kate!
Welcome & love to have you onboard.
Maybe you'd love to add a couple more posts to your thread?
Do you have a dump point? How many sites?
Powered sites?
Laundry etc etc
(Ros loves ironing & might give her a chance to keep her 'hand' in)
BruceS
Mannum, SA

BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Additional info provided by Kate. (reluctant to bog down our forum?)

Gosh - thank you! I am wary of 'advertising', as our aim is not to be gimmicky, but just get to know people and welcome them into our home. We have 50 powered sites, and yes we have a dump point. We have 250 acres, so plenty of non powered space. Rather than me hogging up the posts, can I suggest caravanners And Motorhomers? visit www.gemtree.com.au - our website has great pictures and information. We also have a Facebook page. If any forum members do plan on coming, PM me before you arrive so we can give you 'special treatment'. I think it is all about the personal experience that you take away. Happy travelling, folks!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Ros20549

Post by Ros20549 »

Thanks admin :lol: :lol: :lol: Kate do I get " extra special treatment" If I do the ironing... :lol: :lol: see you late July will ring before hand when we have a date please don't save up to much ironing I will be on a holiday.... :roll:

Cheers Ros

PS. admin they also have a lovely little citrus grove where you are able to help yourself to a couple each day its a great spot../
Last edited by Ros20549 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most people spend their healthy years trying to be wealthy, only to spend their wealthy years trying to be healthy....
Dot

Post by Dot »

Next thing some twerp (new word for me) will ba asking for a picture of your dump point :roll: :roll: :roll:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Peter

Post by Peter »

A great spot we stayed there for a couple of days in May 2012 and went fossicking found a few ok gem stones. It good because they have someone to have a look and grade your find. We will return again when in the area. One of the few pay places that have plenty of room . Definately not a motorhome jail.
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

Hi,
My wife and I were there in 2002 on our big trip.
Her opinion was it was the best place on the trip.
PeterH