Roberts Hobbies and Interest

Please discuss your hobbies and interests in this forum.
Ask for a sub-section if you want it!!!
RobertNotBob

Roberts Hobbies and Interest

Post by RobertNotBob »

Thank you Bruce as this will now be an excellent section for members to share and record their interest. Before coming to Adelaide I was involved in several diffent life style interest.

In Darwin I built a 30ft steel hull yacht and as a family we lived aboard for several years enjoying the sailing life style. When my daughter reached high school age I then sold the boat and bought 5 acres between Howard Springs and Humpty Doo and enjoyed developing the block before we sold it and move interstate.

In Queensland I was into organic vegie garden and aquaponics. Was raising Jade Pearch to 1.5kg after two years and enjoying the vegies growing in the associated beds. At our front door I had two wicking beds set up using two Halves of a IBC. This provided our herbs and salad greens within 2m of the front door. And not to forget the chooks who provide a steady supply of eggs and compost as well as many hours of entertainment.

Moving to Adelaide we do not have the yard area or the desire to continue my past interest. Main reason being you always need someone to look after it all when you want to travel.

So now my interest is in doing what I have always had a interest in and that is model trains. I intend to set up a HO railway and associated land scape and modelling. My main interest is the modelling as I have never done any before and once your tracks are laid and trains running it is there and will not be change while the land scape and buildings can be change without too much difficulty. First I have to build and line a shed which requires more capital than we have so I will start on my modelling.

This required obtaining or building a model work bench which could be moved inside during extreme heat or cold.
I obtained a babies change table with wheels on two legs which was ideal to start with as it was free.
A2261E48-2693-437D-B4F6-55A28133E657.jpeg
A8A3E8B9-EB42-4E31-B8FD-D5CE8238C77E.jpeg
Change table before modification.
227DDF47-205D-4EDB-9895-618BBFE66555.jpeg
6D93536B-367D-40AA-9953-E9242B102F85.jpeg
2424DD3D-6D3D-43A9-8C9B-44DDCCC505EE.jpeg
F23B2ACB-432B-4DBE-A14B-504D9ECE3EA8.jpeg
Looking more like a work area.

Will take a couple more of the table inside and my first model
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RobertNotBob

Re: Roberts Hobbies and Interest

Post by RobertNotBob »

A couple of more photos
4EDB4276-512E-4A14-B6B1-AB20F28401E0.jpeg
635FE817-8DCC-4D15-A3A3-4BA0BE5577C2.jpeg
E01CBE65-01F7-49C3-B80A-CAF3995E1C72.jpeg
The shed represents any three side country shed found on farms, town blokes or sports field. It is HO 1:87 scale and true size would be about 2m x 3m in size. Still painting the roof. Sorry about the quality of the photos but not good lighting in the lounge and too bright in the kitchen. Cheers Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Robert I've found turning off the flash & letting the camera set the exposure works well.
Are you 'into' facebook?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... f=feed_rhc
BruceS
Mannum, SA

RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

Hi Bruce not sure there is a flash on this Ipad. Always stayed away from facebook but now there is too much on there so slowly learning.
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

Another couple of photos with the roof on the shed
99814221-EAD0-411E-A6ED-6B9E7BE133AF.jpeg
C9F1166B-6915-4B88-AB67-FDFB13841022.jpeg
FBF66E6B-1FF9-4F67-A591-7994A96E0AA5.jpeg
This completes my first model cheers Robert
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

8' X 4'
model.jpg
BruceS
Mannum, SA

DerekBullock

Post by DerekBullock »

Robert, getting back to previous hobbies. Would love to see some photos of your aquaponics setup if you have them. I have always had an interest but never the time.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Know what you’re going through Robert.
When Son-and-Heir was abou 6~7, I built him an HO layout 2m x 2.5m, which I mounted on a waterpipe hinge and fold-down legs which disappeared into a cabinet in the rumpus room.
Naturally, all scenery had to be secured so it didn’t accumulate at the bottom of the cabinet. 😜
Trains & carriages were accommodated in the next door of the cabinet, on rail sections.
We had a tunnel in one corner, with a line over the top as well as under, a marshalling yard, freight centre with containers in stacks, a trestle bridge, two stations, a village and several farms. An artificial Christmas Tree gave its life to create a pine forest in one corner.
Took me a year to build. 😳
He played with it until he discovered girls. 😜
Couple of years later we sold it to a bloque with a 7-y-o son... complete with rolling stock. Money was donated to S&H to help buy his first car. 😁
Everyone wins...
Last edited by Greynomad on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

Hi Derek will post a few on the weekend in another thread this section. Still do not know how to post to youtube as
I have a couple of videos here. Search youtube for CCBears big Jade Pearch for a video inside my 6000 litre tank. Cheers
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

Bruce was that the link you sent me as I could not open it. Would be interested in that layout. Cheers