Phone app

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Phone app

Post by T1 Terry »

As far as law enforcement goes, the only think that worries me about that was the way the federal police could do an illegal search of a reporters house yet not get any blow back from it and actually gets to keep what it illegally obtained.
If it helps break up terrorist groups, great, if it is used to get anyone who says something the govt doesn't like, that is completely different. look at the problems Julian Assange is having trying to avoid being extradited to the USA for exposing the war crimes committed by the US troops on more than one occasion. The Australian authorities are in the midst of doing much the same sort of thing to one of their own citizens for exposing activities carried out by Australian troops that were being covered up at the top levels .... so it can't be said "that couldn't happen in Australia" because it already has happened .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Busman

Post by Busman »

Some seem to forget the benefits of living in a democracy allows you to reasonably critique said democracy ?

Some of the comments here would have seen the poster off to the stalug long ago in many societies.

I am only interested in end results and anyone that thinks we have not done well in this crisis is brain dead.

It ain't because we are an island, if that was the case Tasmania with it's double isolation would have had no cases, not major outbreaks ? GB is an island and they are saying they will bring in self isolation for travellers arriving after the end of the month ? Really, after 30 K dead ? I can't be bothered comparing per capita deaths but they would be huge, compared to the reality here.

Very, very easy to sit behind a routers silent address and spew bile at all and sundry, if your life has not gone well, perhaps need to look at it instead of blaming the rest of the population ?

For me the benefits of living in a democracy where we can give them the flick is preferable to having some appartchick putting the mockers on me.

Now the source code is released it seems the experts who have looked at it cannot find the location part that was supposed to be so scary ? But I suppose that will be dismissed as "they are in the pay of the government"? Or any other rubbish that supports the raving.

Who cares, I would rather be alive than worrying about this shit.
Last edited by Busman on Wed May 13, 2020 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

I’m still not going to download the app.
As I said earlier, the gummint already knows more about me than I’m comfortable with.
Ain’t gonna just open my ‘pooter and say “Help yourself.”
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Busman

Post by Busman »

Just saw the news, Australia rated No 1 in how virus has been handled and No 4 in the world in readiness for a second wave by John Hopkins.

So, can't be doing too badly ?

Ray, I respect your decision but need explanation of how your computer and phone are linked ? i.e. how does downloading this app open your computer to the government ?

Thanks
William
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Peter and Sandra

Post by Peter and Sandra »

I may possibly be wrong (quite often am) but my understanding of this app is that the app on the phone logs anyone else's phone that remains within a certain distance of the phone for a certain period of time. Of course the other phone needs to have the app installed and operating as well.
It does this constantly and approximately every 21 days the phone starts to overwrite the data and drop anything older than 21 days off.
The phone doesn't share this data with anyone or anything else.
Meanwhile authorities are looking at a phone owned by someone who has contracted the virus, in the data on that phone there is one occasion where it has "handshaked" with your phone so the authorities then contact you inform you that you should get tested as you may have contracted the virus.
If your test is than positive they may ask you to upload the data from your phone to see who you have been close to in that last 21 days.
So until you are asked as being a possibly infected person and you physically push the button to upload the data there is no data obtained from your phone.
Is this how it actually works or am I wrong?
Meanwhile Google has all your location data for months and months, even years and knows exactly where you have been and who you have spoken to. Probably even has a transcript of what you said to the checkout person!
And no I've not read the last fifteen pages of the thread.
Oka 4WD camper/motorhome, 1100w solar, 400ah lithium, diesel heating, HWS and cooking
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Agree with you wholeheartedly Peter and also point out that the installed app can be switched off whenever you want simply by turning wifi off.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Newcastle George wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:41 am Agree with you wholeheartedly Peter and also point out that the installed app can be switched off whenever you want simply by turning wifi off.
Spot on George, except for one very minor point. Turn the Bluetooth off. Not the wifi. as I said. A very minor point.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

Peter and Sandra wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:11 am
Is this how it actually works or am I wrong?
Yup, that's how it works Peter.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Grandad wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:58 am
Newcastle George wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:41 am Agree with you wholeheartedly Peter and also point out that the installed app can be switched off whenever you want simply by turning wifi off.
Spot on George, except for one very minor point. Turn the Bluetooth off. Not the wifi. as I said. A very minor point.

Jim
I'm a little brain dead this morning Jim. :?

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Didn't the whole "protection" package that is going through the various parliamentary houses warn hackers that there would be heavy fines if they were caught hacking the data? Surely if the data is that well protected it would require a very clever hacker to break into the system? Doesn't stand to reason if this hacker was smart enough to hack the system then they would be smarter than those who set it up and therefore smarter than those who would be trying to track them down?

Let's see just how effective this app is at containing the second wave, there are more than 5.5 million who have downloaded it apparently, I wonder if it will work better here than it worked in the other places it was rolled out?

As I said a number of posts back, our political system has a poor track record for adopting ideas that didn't work else where and thinking they can make it work. Didn't some regarded as being clever say something about this sort of practice?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO