A new addition to the family

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Shirley

Re: A new addition to the family

Post by Shirley »

David we watched a show on TV awhile ago & the amount of feral goats had become a real problem too.
Shirley & Bruce.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

https://www.australianwildlife.org/our- ... x-control/

"316,000,000
Number of birds killed by feral cats in Australia each year

Number of reptiles killed by feral cats in Australia each year

Number of native animals saved from feral predators by AWC’s network of conservation fences each year"

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

Talking to a farmer at Eulo a couple of years ago. He said the goats are good, they cost nothing , you don't have to feed them they round themselves up in a trap he made around a water hole. That afternoon he loaded a Double B with goats and sent them to the slaughter house at Charleville then sent to USA. All of that for the cost of transport. He said they paid more than Roos.

PeterH
PeterH
Dot

Post by Dot »

I would love to know who and how they get their numbers for all those animals purported to be killed by cats. No matter how many "feral" animals there are ,it comes down to the retarded humans being too lazy to do the right thing. Like they say snakes are endangered who goes out and counts them??? maybe I should report the xxx we have killed, what about all those lizards squashed on the roads? Once again 1080 poison is doing more damage than anything.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

The local cats kill most of the ducklings around our area or larger birds nab them, one day you see 8 or 10, few go each day & you finally see only about 2-4 grow to any size.
Agree with Dot you do wonder how they tally up those sort of numbers.
Shirley & Bruce.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

I have seen a cat leap up and pluck a King Parrot out of the air as it swooped from tree to tree. :? :x

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Shirley wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:31 pm The local cats kill most of the ducklings around our area or larger birds nab them, one day you see 8 or 10, few go each day & you finally see only about 2-4 grow to any size.
Agree with Dot you do wonder how they tally up those sort of numbers.
I think you will find it is well organised predator type birds Shirley, something often seen in this area with all the ducks on the river. A few birds will distract the adults while another will grab a duckling, this continues until the clutch of duckling is small enough for the parents to fully protect, just nature at work.

As far as a feral cat catching a parrot out of the air, I doubt it equals the number that that hawks pluck out of the sky and tear to pieces .....
I agree that feral cats are a problem, just like feral dogs and feral children, maybe they should all be hunted down and eradicated ;) maybe add the domesticated ones that tend to go feral when not being watched closely ... all three types :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Newcastle George wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:28 pm https://www.australianwildlife.org/our- ... x-control/

"316,000,000
Number of birds killed by feral cats in Australia each year

Number of reptiles killed by feral cats in Australia each year

Number of native animals saved from feral predators by AWC’s network of conservation fences each year"

George
Hmmm.... in a recent sudy, 89.5% of all statics are made up .... ;) :lol: Agree with Dottie, motor vehicles are the biggest reptile killers around this area, not cats or dogs, it would be a very brave cat that took on a scaly back blue tongue :o Seen a few dogs doing the reverse shuffle after disturbing one

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

Brucie2 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:19 pm But 1080 is very strongly regulated & is only used to target particular animals.
After you show me how you can go & buy some I'll agree with you Dot.
I had been saying in another forum about the excessive use and distribution of 1080 and this was one reply I got. Would someone who has the correct answer please let me know. TIA -------- "But 1080 is very strongly regulated & is only used to target particular animals.
After you show me how you can go & buy some I'll agree with you Dot. "

Bruce I asked your Q on the 1080 site and here are some of the answers.

Comments
Ruth Weston
badge icon
1080 is a non specific poison. It will kill anything that requires oxygen to live.
It cannot be controlled as animals and birds can move baits or travel kilometres before they die.
It has been stolen and never found.
It is used maliciously by some people.
Etc etc
· Reply · 4h
Marilyn Nuske
badge icon
1080 is mismanaged and very often users fail to comply with the State authority requirements for use, which is why we hear about so many dogs dying from 1080 each week. People complain of no signs, no neighbour warning, no pick up of poisoned carcass. It is a risk to human health.
· Reply · 4h
Marilyn Saitzeff
See photo
Image may contain: text that says '3:12 Vo)) 55% Google M 1080 wild dog baits ALL SHOPPING IMAGES VIDEOS NEWS DOGGONE Wild Dog Bait RMAMOUEP POCEN Wild DOGGONE® Wild Dog Bait is a manufactured meat meal-based bait, pre-poisoned with precisely 6 milligrams (6/1000th of a gram) of sodium fluoroacetate ('1080'). Red dye identifies the poison in the centre of the bait. acta animalcontrol.com.au products DOGGONE® 1080 Wild Dog Bait- animal control technologies 1 Discover Updates Q Search … Collections More <'
· Reply · 4h
Marilyn Saitzeff
No photo description available.
· Reply · 4h
Bea Heard
1080 cannot "target species" the users of the product can attempt to lay the baits in situations that do not favour other animals but all research shows this procedure fails.
No photo description available.
· Reply · 4h · Edited
Marilyn Nuske
badge icon

Bea Heard birds and foxes carry bites for kiloometres.
· Reply · 2h
Write a reply...

Bea Heard
1080 is supposed to be highly regulated however over time, procedures and pressure from certain industries has led to far more lax monitoring, in a circle of "not my responsibility" This degradation now seeing products with certain % of 1080 being available to purchase "over-the-counter"
Not regulated and any complaints regarding the death of companion animals in particular are met with a very long process of "not my area"
Noting the "string of deaths in QLD" were from products purchased over the counter
· Reply · 4h · Edited
Marilyn Saitzeff
You need property id and chemical use certification.
· Reply · 4h
Bea Heard
Used to - in QLD there is a loophole they appear to have taken up. We are waiting official response but have a long trail of first-hand issues from devastated families and a review that apparently gives way to a new problem.
· Reply · 3h
Marilyn Saitzeff
Bea Heard Local Councils supply 1080 meat baits to landowners se Qld Mar/Apr Sept/Oct every year.
· Reply · 3h · Edited
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

Two years ago we had a problem with wild dogs in the area and lost three calves. We applied to the authorities for 1080 baits. They informed us that we needed to be trained in the use and handling of the bait.
But they said as the neighbour was allready trained, he could over see the laying of the baits and we were not required to be trained. The bait had to be delivered to him who then gave it to us and showed us how to lay the baits.
This required us to bury the bait about 30mm so as the birds cannot pick it up. The chunks of bait were about the size of a bread roll, and hopefully the wild dogs would locate the smell and dig them up. We kept our dog chained up for about a week as the baits become un affected after that. The neighbour had lost three calves also, but after the baiting we have not seen or had any wild dogs since.

PeterH
PS. I used the word "we" as I was camped on the farm, as I am at present. But unfortunatly he passed away a fortnight ago, so now I am custodian of the farm [that is nI feed the dog] .
PeterH