Top dressing lawn.

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
supersparky

Top dressing lawn.

Post by supersparky »

With all the enforced lack of travel opportunity of late, I have turned my attentions to the front yard and gardens. I have come to the conclusion that our front lawn and nature strip are in dire need of some form of top dressing and reseeding. What do the gardeners amongst us use ? The soil around here is basically just sand held together by grass roots and not much else.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
RobertNotBob

Re: Top dressing lawn.

Post by RobertNotBob »

My favourite is concrete certainly cuts down on the mowing. Cheers
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Weed and Feed, if that doesn't work, returf. :)

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

David, to call me a gardener would be insulting to gardeners but every time I've ever heard people speak of top dressing they always seem to refer to Sandy Loam. What exactly Sandy Loam is..... I have no idea.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Strange as it might sound, digging in the lawn clippings will help sandy soil a lot, along with throwing handfuls of fertiliser pellets that look a lot like rat droppings .... I'll have to look at the bag at home find out the brand name.
We got the collection of burr grass and weeds that made up the centre section of the otherwise sand/dirt front lawn at the house into a full edge to edge lawn using the grass clippings and a one of hands full of fertiliser thrown over and watered in and a bit of grass seed. Well, until Margaret decided to use round up to kill a path of burr grass while it was windy and managed to kill very large patches of it :roll:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Those rat dropping things are probably Dynamic Lifter pellets. If that's the one I think, dogs love rolling in it, especially after it is wet, but that's ok because Bandit is an outside dog anyway. I always use the mulcher mower as I am usually too lazy to use the catcher anyway.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

There’s a fairly new product available at the hammer shop, called ‘Whoflungdung’ (I kid you not!)
Made by Neutrog in SA. A blend of compost & denatured chook poo. Smells a bit when first spread, but that dissipates in a week.
Bluddy good results on our garden. One scrawny tree has doubled its leaf production in three weeks. All 140 roses are thick and bushy. The hundred or so irises bloomed a month early and lasted longer than usual.
Try spreading a bale over your lawn and watering it daily for a week or two. Worked on our bare patches.
(After a trial two bales 12 months ago, this year we bought 15 twenty kilogram bales for our 1.5acre gardens. Members of any Australian State Rose Society buy them at a discount. For us, it’s worth the money.)
39B37BE0-F2E7-4DE6-A89F-DC3A159A48FD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

gunna get some "whoflungdung" this week.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Dot,
You’ll have to put the bale into a wheelbarrow before cutting it open.
I then use a garden fork to break up the compressed mulch before spreading it around the plants.
Wear gloves and a face mask for safety.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:02 pm Dot,
You’ll have to put the bale into a wheelbarrow before cutting it open.
I then use a garden fork to break up the compressed mulch before spreading it around the plants.
Wear gloves and a face mask for safety.
I guess you meant that Dottie should pass that information on to George ..... ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO