The new 'Nonny'?

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Cuppa

Re: The new 'Nonny'?

Post by Cuppa »

BernieQ2 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:56 pm I felt sorry for you mate :mrgreen:
But I'll promise not to do it again. :lol:
Bernie.
I knew you'd have a good comeback ......... just couldn't imagine what it might be! :lol:
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

img_2161.jpg
Cuppa, you can buy small off road vans.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Shirley on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley & Bruce.
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

Shirley wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:14 pm img_2161.jpg

Cuppa, you can but small off road vans.
We have a small 'van' now Shirley, yes we could go a bit bigger , but one of the significant advantages to not towing I ad been looking for was being able to explore more tracks without fear of being unable to turn around. With our Tvan in tow we are almost 10 metres long!
dapope

Post by dapope »

Can sell you a swagman with that combo! Theres a few other features though that will not meet your specs unfortunately!
Is finding an OKA and converting to how you want it an option?
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Understand Cuppa been in that position in the Coaster on tracks a couple of times, once having to reverse a significant distance to be able to turn around with a deep ditch on one side & a steep drop on the other, when we came upon a huge gum tree down across the road.
We bought the Trakmaster Stuart it's the same width as the MUX, it should tow ok behind us anywhere we decide to go, guess we just have to hope that we don't get in a reversing/turning around situation :D although we are not as adventurous as we use to be, age has slowed us down in that department. :lol: :lol:
Shirley & Bruce.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Cuppa wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:11 pm Past experience of buying a vehicle in Qld & taking it to Vic (a Troopy) was that I was unable to claim the rego back when it was cancelled in Qld, onlt the person who took out the rego (ie the previous owner) could do that. They promised to send the money but I never heard from them again & they wouldn't answer my calls or emails.

On this occasion we do have a Qld garaging address & so were intending to simply transfer the QLD rego, advantageous as the transfer fees are approx half of those if transferring to Vic, & because it is already in our name when we eventually want to transfer it to vic there are no transfer fees involved.

Today I was talking to someone & gained info suggesting that the Chinese Cummins is one that was set up as a stationary motor & that's why it was governed to around 1800rpm. Same motor as used in vehicles, but with a different fuel pump & yes quite possibly not meeting emission requirements for a vehicle. The 'good' Cummins motors I've driven recently revved easily to 2600rpm +

The OKA community is now aware of the situation & I suspect the only way the chap will now only be able to sell the vehicle will be if he jumps through all the hoops to get it properly certified, most likely a pretty expensive exercise for him.

Anecdotally there has also been mention of a forum post he made in the past saying how he had been able to get all the certifications done on the basis of emailed photos & documents for just $300 a few years ago, but I haven't been able to find that.
Maybe I can buy it cheap off him with the plan to sort it out so it is all legal .... and add it to the collection of projects around the yard :roll: A 6 cyl Cummins Chinese knock off would make a great motor for a big genset .......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

dapope wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:45 am Can sell you a swagman with that combo! Theres a few other features though that will not meet your specs unfortunately!
Is finding an OKA and converting to how you want it an option?
It would certainly make finding something suitable far easier. Reality is though that it would need a suitable camper/motorhome body on it already & I would have to pay someone to do any engine/transmission swaps. I don't have the facilities or the desire to do the engine/transmission work, & these days my back s not up to building a MH body from scratch. A modification here & there I could manage though. The Cummins/Allison route is becoming more popular in the OKA community, but it's a small community with limited vehicle numbers out there.
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

Shirley wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:53 am Understand Cuppa been in that position in the Coaster on tracks a couple of times, once having to reverse a significant distance to be able to turn around with a deep ditch on one side & a steep drop on the other, when we came upon a huge gum tree down across the road.
We bought the Trakmaster Stuart it's the same width as the MUX, it should tow ok behind us anywhere we decide to go, guess we just have to hope that we don't get in a reversing/turning around situation :D although we are not as adventurous as we use to be, age has slowed us down in that department. :lol: :lol:
Have only once got into a turning around fix with the Tvan. A very tight situation on soft sand. Physically pulling the van around 18" in order to get past it in the car almost broke me & I still suffer today. Once past it I was able to use the winch to retrieve the tvan. An OKA at 6 metres long & a turning circle better than our Patrol would make that sort of risk a thing of the past.
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

T1 Terry wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:07 pm
Cuppa wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:11 pm Past experience of buying a vehicle in Qld & taking it to Vic (a Troopy) was that I was unable to claim the rego back when it was cancelled in Qld, onlt the person who took out the rego (ie the previous owner) could do that. They promised to send the money but I never heard from them again & they wouldn't answer my calls or emails.

On this occasion we do have a Qld garaging address & so were intending to simply transfer the QLD rego, advantageous as the transfer fees are approx half of those if transferring to Vic, & because it is already in our name when we eventually want to transfer it to vic there are no transfer fees involved.

Today I was talking to someone & gained info suggesting that the Chinese Cummins is one that was set up as a stationary motor & that's why it was governed to around 1800rpm. Same motor as used in vehicles, but with a different fuel pump & yes quite possibly not meeting emission requirements for a vehicle. The 'good' Cummins motors I've driven recently revved easily to 2600rpm +

The OKA community is now aware of the situation & I suspect the only way the chap will now only be able to sell the vehicle will be if he jumps through all the hoops to get it properly certified, most likely a pretty expensive exercise for him.

Anecdotally there has also been mention of a forum post he made in the past saying how he had been able to get all the certifications done on the basis of emailed photos & documents for just $300 a few years ago, but I haven't been able to find that.
Maybe I can buy it cheap off him with the plan to sort it out so it is all legal .... and add it to the collection of projects around the yard :roll: A 6 cyl Cummins Chinese knock off would make a great motor for a big genset .......

T1 Terry
I could give you his phone number :) Might be a lot cheaper just to buy a Chinese Cummins though. The OKA might make an expensive chicken coop, even if you did get it cheap! :lol:
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

Shirley wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:53 am Understand Cuppa been in that position in the Coaster on tracks a couple of times, once having to reverse a significant distance to be able to turn around with a deep ditch on one side & a steep drop on the other, when we came upon a huge gum tree down across the road.
A 6m OKA has a turning circle less than our Patrol!